MHD

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   3 Replies   Last post: June 18, 2017 7:01pm UTC
Madhura Gurjar

Madhura Gurjar

June 24, 2015 1:41pm UTC

MHD

I am working with magnetohydrodynamics.
I have to simulate a conductive fluid which is stationary at first. There are 4 magnets under the fluid. AC Electric current of 0.1Hz frequency is passed through the fluid. The fluid begins to move, and it oscillates as the current changes direction. How do I simulate this? Which physics do I use? Since the magnetic field is constant (permanent magnets), do I just need to add a source term in the NS equation? How do I do that? and since the lorentz force is J x B, how do I bring in current density into the picture? I know the conductivity of the fluid (salt concentration), I know the voltage I am applying.
Can I simulate that?

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Luigi Candido

Luigi Candido

May 23, 2017 12:06pm UTC in response to Madhura Gurjar

Re: MHD

You need the Magnetic Field (mf) interface from AC/DC (it gives you Maxwell's equations) and a Single Phase Fluid (spa) interface (which gives you Navier-Stokes' equations). Then you can couple them through the volume force, saying that those forces are the Lorentz forces.

Nirmal Paudel

Nirmal Paudel

May 24, 2017 1:47pm UTC in response to Luigi Candido

Hi,

The following example on induction pump might be useful here.
www.comsol.com/model/inductive-liquid-metal-pump-5907

Best Regards,
Nirmal

Arash Karim

Arash Karim

June 18, 2017 7:01pm UTC in response to Luigi Candido

Thank you very much about your helpful post.

Rules and guidelines