Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Identifier and its function?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

What is identifier, and what is its specific function?
An example will be better.

1 Reply Last Post 2010年10月23日 GMT+8 16:03
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年10月23日 GMT+8 16:03
Hi

if you do a search on the pdf doc you will fine several references to this and I believe his would give you the correct definition and use.

I would also propose that you play with the model tree display options (small triangle pointing down on the upper right corner, "View Menu").

Probably to fully understand the names, ientifiers, tags reasons is to go into API or java programming

Do not forget that COMSOL is "just" a level of graphics I/F to replace a lot of lines of code

Basically I understand it this way:

"Name" is the name you give any node entry with a rename or F2 such to name it handy for yourself

"(Identifier)" (or "Operator name" I agree this is confusing) is the name of the function, operator, model tree items you use to refer to it in a function call or an equation, this too you might edit

"{Tag}" is the COMSOL internal name it uses to unumbigously identify the items.

By default the "(Identifier)" is the "{Tag}" name from start.
Furthermore a Name is also a full text string (with spaces), while {Tag}s and (Identifier)s DO NOT allow for spaces or special characters

These items are linked by lists, as usual in programming you have the internal "id"s and the user name you might put up.

Hope this helps, but I just clarified it out myself by playing with the search on the doc and the options of COMSOL ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you do a search on the pdf doc you will fine several references to this and I believe his would give you the correct definition and use. I would also propose that you play with the model tree display options (small triangle pointing down on the upper right corner, "View Menu"). Probably to fully understand the names, ientifiers, tags reasons is to go into API or java programming Do not forget that COMSOL is "just" a level of graphics I/F to replace a lot of lines of code Basically I understand it this way: "Name" is the name you give any node entry with a rename or F2 such to name it handy for yourself "(Identifier)" (or "Operator name" I agree this is confusing) is the name of the function, operator, model tree items you use to refer to it in a function call or an equation, this too you might edit "{Tag}" is the COMSOL internal name it uses to unumbigously identify the items. By default the "(Identifier)" is the "{Tag}" name from start. Furthermore a Name is also a full text string (with spaces), while {Tag}s and (Identifier)s DO NOT allow for spaces or special characters These items are linked by lists, as usual in programming you have the internal "id"s and the user name you might put up. Hope this helps, but I just clarified it out myself by playing with the search on the doc and the options of COMSOL ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.