Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I model rigid ball impacting a composite plate?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am new to COMSOL and I am trying to build a model of a small steel ball impacting a composite plate, similar to figure 1 in this paper: www.comsol.com/offers/conference2012papers/papers/file/id/13003/file/14167_pavelko_paper.pdf

I have not been able to find any tutorials or examples that explain how to get started with this. Could anyone help get me started? I think I know how to build the geometry but do not know what physics modules I should be using or how to give the steel ball velocity.

What physics should I be using? Can I model this impact without using the multibody dynamics module? My student version does not come with the multibody dynamics module.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alec

6 Replies Last Post 2017年9月21日 GMT-4 11:30
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年9月8日 GMT-4 11:37
Hi Alec,

I would start with one of the COMSOL tutorials about Contact (that requires the Structural Mechanics module). An initial velocity is assigned using the “Initial Values” node. The main challenge for this problem is handling impact (as opposed to stationary contact). The default contact settings in COMSOL are good for stationary contact (that is well documented in the manuals), so you need to make some modifications. To solve this type of problem I use a penalty contact formulation (instead of the default Augmented Lagrangian) and select a suitable penalty stiffness that does not lead to excessive penetration or energy instability. I tried to attach an animation of such a model for you but for some reason can’t do it.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Alec, I would start with one of the COMSOL tutorials about Contact (that requires the Structural Mechanics module). An initial velocity is assigned using the “Initial Values” node. The main challenge for this problem is handling impact (as opposed to stationary contact). The default contact settings in COMSOL are good for stationary contact (that is well documented in the manuals), so you need to make some modifications. To solve this type of problem I use a penalty contact formulation (instead of the default Augmented Lagrangian) and select a suitable penalty stiffness that does not lead to excessive penetration or energy instability. I tried to attach an animation of such a model for you but for some reason can’t do it. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年9月8日 GMT-4 11:41
Here it is!
Here it is!

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年4月26日 GMT-4 23:34
Dear sir,

I am a student and I am new to COMSOL. Now day , I am building this model, but I find it is too diffucult for me to make this application. Could you give me a help? I want to know how to build that mph in your reply-- Cylinder_Dynamic_Anim2.gif

Thank you very much!

Jack
Dear sir, I am a student and I am new to COMSOL. Now day , I am building this model, but I find it is too diffucult for me to make this application. Could you give me a help? I want to know how to build that mph in your reply-- Cylinder_Dynamic_Anim2.gif Thank you very much! Jack

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年4月27日 GMT-4 06:05
Dear sir,

I am also new to COMSOL and I am doing the same job with you, I have the same problem with you.Do you have solved the matter? If it is possible, Could you give me some help?

Thank you very much!

Jack
Dear sir, I am also new to COMSOL and I am doing the same job with you, I have the same problem with you.Do you have solved the matter? If it is possible, Could you give me some help? Thank you very much! Jack

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年9月21日 GMT-4 11:05

Hi, I am trying to build the model with a small ball impacting onto a plate or waveguide. I am going to investigate the acoustic emission signals generated by the impact, however, the impact model is the first step. Have you got you problems solved? Or could you please give me some advice on building the impact model with COMSOL?

Currently, I am not quite sure how to generate the acoustic emission signals by impact? Can I use a force instead of the ball to model the impact? I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Best wishes,

Guoqiang

Hi, I am trying to build the model with a small ball impacting onto a plate or waveguide. I am going to investigate the acoustic emission signals generated by the impact, however, the impact model is the first step. Have you got you problems solved? Or could you please give me some advice on building the impact model with COMSOL? Currently, I am not quite sure how to generate the acoustic emission signals by impact? Can I use a force instead of the ball to model the impact? I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you. Best wishes, Guoqiang

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年9月21日 GMT-4 11:30

Here it is!

Hi, I am also very intersted in how to build the impact model as you have posted in your reply. I am currently doing some research on acoustic emission generated by the impact. I have read some your discussions with other reseachers on Structual Mechanical and Acoustic Emission and learnt the COMSOL tutorials that you recommended about penalty contact formulation (Snap Hook, Adhesion and Decohesion of Indenting Ball... ).

My question is how can I model the acoustic emission signals generated by the impact? I notice that your model contains the rebound stage of the ball. Did you consider the adhere between the cylinder and the ball? How should I choose a suitable penalty stiffness? I am wondering if you have some paper or other referrences explaining these problems and I can learn more from them.

I would appreciate you for your help.

Best regards,

Guoqiang

>Here it is! Hi, I am also very intersted in how to build the impact model as you have posted in your reply. I am currently doing some research on acoustic emission generated by the impact. I have read some your discussions with other reseachers on Structual Mechanical and Acoustic Emission and learnt the COMSOL tutorials that you recommended about penalty contact formulation (Snap Hook, Adhesion and Decohesion of Indenting Ball... ). My question is how can I model the acoustic emission signals generated by the impact? I notice that your model contains the rebound stage of the ball. Did you consider the adhere between the cylinder and the ball? How should I choose a suitable penalty stiffness? I am wondering if you have some paper or other referrences explaining these problems and I can learn more from them. I would appreciate you for your help. Best regards, Guoqiang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.