Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to assign conductivity to different layers of a sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am new to COMSOL. So, this might be obvious to some, however, I am currently facing this issue:

I have a sphere with 6 layers in geometry. I'd like to assign a specific conductivity value to each of these layers. I am trying to do this by adding material. However, I am not sure on how to link the layer with the material. How may I go about this? Also, is this the right way to do this?

I'll really appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance
Sincerely
Deepa

3 Replies Last Post 2016年11月29日 GMT-5 22:30

Posted: 7 years ago 2016年11月29日 GMT-5 02:59
Hi,
You can do this by either choosing new material or Add material from the material tab, in the new material you can choose the parameters which you want for your geometry by selecting Material- basic - output properties. Then in the setting window of the new material under the geometry entity selection choose the layer ( you either choose from the list or manually), if you want to choose the layer manually just put your cursor on the layer in the graphics window and select it, it will be mentioned in the setting window.
Hi, You can do this by either choosing new material or Add material from the material tab, in the new material you can choose the parameters which you want for your geometry by selecting Material- basic - output properties. Then in the setting window of the new material under the geometry entity selection choose the layer ( you either choose from the list or manually), if you want to choose the layer manually just put your cursor on the layer in the graphics window and select it, it will be mentioned in the setting window.

Posted: 7 years ago 2016年11月29日 GMT-5 21:48
Dear Deepshikha,

Thank you for your response. However, when I click the add material option (I right clck on the 'Materials' in the Model Builder tab to get that option), the 'add material' tab opens where there are lists of materials (such as copper, iron etc) organized in categories such as 'recent materials', 'Built-In', 'AC/DC' and so on. I am not sure which one to chose as I'd like to define the material properties myself as you also described. Also, I see that there is a 'user-defined library' category but it is empty and I cannot select anything from that.

Please let me know what I am missing.

Thank you
Dear Deepshikha, Thank you for your response. However, when I click the add material option (I right clck on the 'Materials' in the Model Builder tab to get that option), the 'add material' tab opens where there are lists of materials (such as copper, iron etc) organized in categories such as 'recent materials', 'Built-In', 'AC/DC' and so on. I am not sure which one to chose as I'd like to define the material properties myself as you also described. Also, I see that there is a 'user-defined library' category but it is empty and I cannot select anything from that. Please let me know what I am missing. Thank you

Posted: 7 years ago 2016年11月29日 GMT-5 22:30
Choose "New material" left click on the Materials and select New material instead of Add material. Then go to Materials- Basic - output properties. You can select your desired parameters and can put desired value.
Choose "New material" left click on the Materials and select New material instead of Add material. Then go to Materials- Basic - output properties. You can select your desired parameters and can put desired value.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.