Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Internal Error in Geometry Composition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need a list of ALL the reasons this error can pop up. I swear I just spent 70% of my day fighting the software to get a damn Boolean Union to work.

For my specific case, I create a workplane and in the workplane I create a path. I sweep the path, then extrude the swept area. Depending on which parts I actually extrude (lots of overlapping parts once a sweep is done), I can combine them or get a message telling me to go kick rocks.

It's totally inconsistent. I will change the dimensions slightly and re-do the sweep and extrusion, and now it doesn't like what I extruded. Doing a Union of just the swept faces or the extruded parts doesn't make a difference.

If I mix and match correctly, it can work out. Unfortunately I have absolutely no clue as to which ones are the correct ones. Even if I select the same named bodies as before, it isn't guaranteed to work.

Why isn't the message more helpful? The error has to happen *somewhere* in the geometry. Can't it just say "error on Domain 3" or whatever. At least then I could narrow it down instead of rolling some dice again.

1 Reply Last Post 2017年1月25日 GMT-5 05:20
Daniel Bertilsson COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年1月25日 GMT-5 05:20
The error message "Internal error in geometry decomposition" means that you have encountered a bug in the software, more or less. It is usually very difficult to say what entities in the geometry triggered the bug. We are constantly working on improving the Boolean operations, so it would be valuable if you could send your model to support@comsol.com. The support team could also give you best practices for avoiding the shortcomings in the Boolean operations.
The error message "Internal error in geometry decomposition" means that you have encountered a bug in the software, more or less. It is usually very difficult to say what entities in the geometry triggered the bug. We are constantly working on improving the Boolean operations, so it would be valuable if you could send your model to support@comsol.com. The support team could also give you best practices for avoiding the shortcomings in the Boolean operations.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.