Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

poissons ratio of water

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

what value, we take for poissons ratio of water, because when we select water in comsol, ask for Young's Modulus, poissons ratio.

7 Replies Last Post 2017年8月4日 GMT-4 01:47
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月3日 GMT-5 09:47
Hello Dinesh,
It sounds like you have a solid mechanics physics interface assigned to one or more domain that is filled with water. Make sure to correct that and the software won't expect a Poisson ratio for water.
Jeff
Hello Dinesh, It sounds like you have a solid mechanics physics interface assigned to one or more domain that is filled with water. Make sure to correct that and the software won't expect a Poisson ratio for water. Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月4日 GMT-5 02:57
how to change the physics, i am attaching the comsol file. please give the steps. i try to put comsol file in discussion forum but, it shows invalid file.​
how to change the physics, i am attaching the comsol file. please give the steps. i try to put comsol file in discussion forum but, it shows invalid file.​

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月13日 GMT-5 14:20
You specify which domains a physics applies to in the selection list for that physics's top Model Builder node. See the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.2a, around pages 114-120 for an example. All manuals are accessible through File>Help>Documentation.
Best,
Jeff
You specify which domains a physics applies to in the selection list for that physics's top Model Builder node. See the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.2a, around pages 114-120 for an example. All manuals are accessible through File>Help>Documentation. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年6月21日 GMT-4 00:46

You specify which domains a physics applies to in the selection list for that physics's top Model Builder node. See the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.2a, around pages 114-120 for an example. All manuals are accessible through File>Help>Documentation.
Best,
Jeff

But your suggestions don't help at all. I think you should give us more practical advice or find out the reason at least!Thanks !
[QUOTE] You specify which domains a physics applies to in the selection list for that physics's top Model Builder node. See the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.2a, around pages 114-120 for an example. All manuals are accessible through File>Help>Documentation. Best, Jeff [/QUOTE] But your suggestions don't help at all. I think you should give us more practical advice or find out the reason at least!Thanks !

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月28日 GMT-4 20:50
Hello Jeff,

What if I want to use solid mechanics physics interface assigned to one or more domain that is filled with water. Then, what will be the value of Young's Modulus and Poisson's ratio?

Could we take Young's Modulus to be 2.2[GPa]?
One more thing, still I don't know the value of Poisson's ratio, could you please help me, I am trying to practice COMSOL tutorial Application ID: 417 ( Acoustic-Structure Interaction).

Thanks!
Hello Jeff, What if I want to use solid mechanics physics interface assigned to one or more domain that is filled with water. Then, what will be the value of Young's Modulus and Poisson's ratio? Could we take Young's Modulus to be 2.2[GPa]? One more thing, still I don't know the value of Poisson's ratio, could you please help me, I am trying to practice COMSOL tutorial Application ID: 417 ( Acoustic-Structure Interaction). Thanks!

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年8月2日 GMT-4 23:43
Updated: 7 years ago 2017年8月2日 GMT-4 23:44
You should not apply Solid Mechanics to a region that is occupied by water. To get fluid properties in solid mechanics you need a high bulk modulus (~2 GPa for water), and a shear modulus (and Young’s modulus) of zero. The model however will not be stable (mainly because the Lagrangian displacement-based solid mechanics formulation is not suitable for fluids). Instead use either a Fluid Flow Physics or an Acoustics Physics for the fluid.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You should not apply Solid Mechanics to a region that is occupied by water. To get fluid properties in solid mechanics you need a high bulk modulus (~2 GPa for water), and a shear modulus (and Young’s modulus) of zero. The model however will not be stable (mainly because the Lagrangian displacement-based solid mechanics formulation is not suitable for fluids). Instead use either a Fluid Flow Physics or an Acoustics Physics for the fluid. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年8月4日 GMT-4 01:47
Thank you very much for your help.
Thank you very much for your help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.