Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Displacement of a point or node within global coordinate frame

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello community.
I'm able to access displacement (component x) of a point by using "evaluation at a point functionality" as part of postprocessing.
This displacement seems to be defined within the material frame. How can I access the absolute value within the global coordinate frame?

Many thanks in advace

2 Replies Last Post 2017年2月13日 GMT-5 18:00
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月13日 GMT-5 17:09
Hi,

The displacement is a special vector in the sense that it belongs neither to the material nor to the spatial frame (or maybe to both?). It actually provides the transformation between the two frames.

Anyway, it does not really matter. The displacements are always represented in the global system.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The displacement is a special vector in the sense that it belongs neither to the material nor to the spatial frame (or maybe to both?). It actually provides the transformation between the two frames. Anyway, it does not really matter. The displacements are always represented in the global system. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月13日 GMT-5 18:00
Hallo Henrik,

thanks for your quick response and explanation. There is one thing I don't understand:
the x-coordinate value of the point/node I mentioned is not zero (~-0.5mm) (I can see it within the Graphics Window) but the initial value of u_solid coming from the Point Evaluation is zero (-4.0825E-11). Then the value alters crossing zero. What is wrong here?

With kind regards

Alexander
Hallo Henrik, thanks for your quick response and explanation. There is one thing I don't understand: the x-coordinate value of the point/node I mentioned is not zero (~-0.5mm) (I can see it within the Graphics Window) but the initial value of u_solid coming from the Point Evaluation is zero (-4.0825E-11). Then the value alters crossing zero. What is wrong here? With kind regards Alexander

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.