Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

moving mesh stuck, deformed geometry fine?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Attached are two very, very similar (simple) 2D models of a disk that moves from left to right. One uses deformed geometry, while the other uses moving mesh. These two physics in principle should each be able to succeed, but in this case for some reason only the deformed mesh approach works!

I can only assume I've made a mistake somewhere in the moving mesh model, but these two are just so darn similar that I can't see where I went wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Best,
Christian

1 Reply Last Post 2017年2月17日 GMT-5 15:08

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月17日 GMT-5 15:08
I've taken a second look at this, and I'm convinced the problem is either very simple or very complicated. I rebuilt the model from scratch and it seems to work just fine (see v2 attached), but there is still some strange problem with the first model.

I fiddled with the mesh settings, took a closer look at the solver, but... the mesh doesn't move, despite having a time-dependent displacement. If there were some kind of mesh boundary condition error forcing zero displacement, it seems there the solver would fail, but this is not the case. Instead, the solution is zero displacement for the entire time range.

Maybe it's some kind of version-specific error. Can anyone else confirm or deny this model solving in a difference version?
I've taken a second look at this, and I'm convinced the problem is either very simple or very complicated. I rebuilt the model from scratch and it seems to work just fine (see v2 attached), but there is still some strange problem with the first model. I fiddled with the mesh settings, took a closer look at the solver, but... the mesh doesn't move, despite having a time-dependent displacement. If there were some kind of mesh boundary condition error forcing zero displacement, it seems there the solver would fail, but this is not the case. Instead, the solution is zero displacement for the entire time range. Maybe it's some kind of version-specific error. Can anyone else confirm or deny this model solving in a difference version?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.