Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Elasticity matrix for silicon dioxide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Please let me know elasticity matrix for silicon dioxide for COMSOL Multiphysics

3 Replies Last Post 2017年2月18日 GMT-5 15:16
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月18日 GMT-5 11:23
In newer versions of Comsol silicon dioxide mechanical properties are built-in (the material choice is silica glass).

If you are talking about amorphous silicon dioxide (same as silica glass) the material properties are isotropic. So there are only two parameters (for example, Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio). You do not need to enter elements of the elasticity matrix.

Now if you are talking about crystalline silicon dioxide- that is, quartz: then things are much more complicated.

DW Greve
DWGreve Consulting
In newer versions of Comsol silicon dioxide mechanical properties are built-in (the material choice is silica glass). If you are talking about amorphous silicon dioxide (same as silica glass) the material properties are isotropic. So there are only two parameters (for example, Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio). You do not need to enter elements of the elasticity matrix. Now if you are talking about crystalline silicon dioxide- that is, quartz: then things are much more complicated. DW Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月18日 GMT-5 11:35
I am designing sensor model with SOI Technology in the COMSOL Multiphysics, I need to enter the Elasticity matrix for silicon dioxide.
I am designing sensor model with SOI Technology in the COMSOL Multiphysics, I need to enter the Elasticity matrix for silicon dioxide.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月18日 GMT-5 15:16
No, I do not think you need to enter the elasticity matrix.

I can't say for sure because I do not have a copy of 4.3 to look at. But in most versions of Comsol, if you define a material as linear isotropic the only parameters you need are the Young's modulus and the Poisson ratio. These can be looked up on the web but I suspect the parameters are built in to your program.

The oxide in an SOI process is amorphous silicon dioxide or silica glass.
No, I do not think you need to enter the elasticity matrix. I can't say for sure because I do not have a copy of 4.3 to look at. But in most versions of Comsol, if you define a material as linear isotropic the only parameters you need are the Young's modulus and the Poisson ratio. These can be looked up on the web but I suspect the parameters are built in to your program. The oxide in an SOI process is amorphous silicon dioxide or silica glass.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.