Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary condition at the membrane-electrode interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to model a H2/Br2 redox flow battery and presently having some problems regarding the boundary condition at the interface between the electrolyte in the model (membrane) and the porous electrode. Since two different physics are used at the 2 domains, I am trying to apply a boundary condition similar to as seen in the 'v battery' model in the applications library but without the Donnan potential jump. At the interface between the membrane and cathode(electrolyte) I have given a point-wise constraint with an expression:

phil_neg - phil_pos ( which eliminates the Donnan potential jump as used in the v flow battery and results in a continuous electrolyte potential profile across the interface)

Also, similar to the constraint force expression in v flow battery, I have added the force expression to implement the conditions of electrolyte current equity in the membrane and electrode. Everything runs smoothly, but the results do not make sense. Especially the H+ concentration profile. I would expect a larger concentration at the membrane interface as this is the source of the current and reduce along the domain. It seems like at the boundary it considers that the anion Br- (In my model) transfers the current through the membrane whereas it is the H+ cation which carries the current and that needs to be equated at the boundary.

Hope somebody can help me get this boundary condition fixed.

1 Reply Last Post 2017年4月6日 GMT-4 07:03
François Mandias COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年4月6日 GMT-4 07:03
Dear Kaushik,

Please address your post directly to: support@comsol.com

Best regards,
François Mandias
Dear Kaushik, Please address your post directly to: support@comsol.com Best regards, François Mandias

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.