Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass conservation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

have a 2D fluid flow model with a flow through porous media. There is one inlet with 20 mm/s inlet velocity and I assume conservation of mass.
I want to check that the numerical mass balance of the models close with a reasonable error. To estimate if the result is reliable and not create or destroy water numerically in the calculation process.
Considering what the blog says in www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-calculate-mass-conservation-and-energy-balance/. I went to Results > Derived Values > Integration > Line Integration
The expression you use is written as: spf.rho*(vi).

Where spf.rho is the density of the fluid and vi is the velocity.

Can someone confirm that this is the correct way to calculate mass conservation in 2D models?

2 Replies Last Post 2017年5月15日 GMT-4 17:03

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月10日 GMT-4 03:24
Hi

Seems correct of vi is the flux velocity NORMAL to the outlet.

Lasse
Hi Seems correct of vi is the flux velocity NORMAL to the outlet. Lasse

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月15日 GMT-4 17:03
Hi Lasse,

I'm not a comsol user and I'm following the steps to calculate mass Conservation and Energy Balance, (www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-calculate-mass-conservation-and-energy-balance/?rnd=0.9605255224029794). I did not understand how they got the mass balance results for the transient analysis, You could share the expression of mass balance used

Best,

Katherine
Hi Lasse, I'm not a comsol user and I'm following the steps to calculate mass Conservation and Energy Balance, (https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-calculate-mass-conservation-and-energy-balance/?rnd=0.9605255224029794). I did not understand how they got the mass balance results for the transient analysis, You could share the expression of mass balance used Best, Katherine

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.