Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Making new plots(?)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am very new to comsol and still kind of figuring things out. I think for the most part I have figured out how to build models and set the physics. That is the easy part. Most of my questions revolve around post processing.

First off, I have made a joule heating model that seems to be working pretty great, and comsol does a good job at guessing what plots I want to see. But what if, for example, in this case I wanted to see a plot of the current. In one version I just put a voltage on the terminal end and not only do I want to see the temperature, but I am curious what values it is turning up for current. So if a make a new surface plot and try to use Current, comsol doesn't know what that is? But it has to right? In order to obtain the joule heating it has to calculate current, among other variables. How do I see what those values are, and maybe even plot them if I wanted to.

Secondly, I am building a second model just to familiarize myself with how to do something like this because it will be important in future models I have to build. I am essentially building a charge above a grounded plane. Think of the standard method of images scheme. What I want to do is look at the electric field lines, but I am not sure how to make a plot like that. Everything I have tried seems to not work. I suppose it is more then possible I didn't set up the model right, but its a pretty simple configuration so I am mostly confident on that end.

I do have another question, but for the sake of "time" Ill leave that one for now because its not that important.

1 Reply Last Post 2017年6月14日 GMT-4 13:43
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年6月14日 GMT-4 13:43
Hello Jordan,

1/ A Surface plot is used to plot a scalar field on a boundary, but a current density is a vector quantity. You can certainly plot the norm (i.e. the magnitude) of the current density with a Surface plot. If you want to plot the current density itself, you can use an Arrow plot or a Streamline plot.

2/ You can use a Streamline plot

As you are discovering the post-processing capabilities of the software, you may find these links helpful:
www.comsol.com/offers/Postprocessing-and-Visualization-Handbook-Part-1
www.comsol.com/offers/Postprocessing-and-Visualization-Handbook-Part-2

Best,
Jeff
Hello Jordan, 1/ A Surface plot is used to plot a scalar field on a boundary, but a current density is a vector quantity. You can certainly plot the norm (i.e. the magnitude) of the current density with a Surface plot. If you want to plot the current density itself, you can use an Arrow plot or a Streamline plot. 2/ You can use a Streamline plot As you are discovering the post-processing capabilities of the software, you may find these links helpful: https://www.comsol.com/offers/Postprocessing-and-Visualization-Handbook-Part-1 https://www.comsol.com/offers/Postprocessing-and-Visualization-Handbook-Part-2 Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.