Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm working on a design and have imported a model in COMSOL.
When I'm going for meshing in normal/fine it gives an error as:

Failed to generate mesh for domain.
- Domain: 2
Failed to insert point.
- x-coordinate: 310.071
- y-coordinate: 154.598
- z-coordinate: 5.3
An empty cavity was generated.

Kindly suggest some measures to have successful meshing of this structure.

--
Mayank

--
Mack

3 Replies Last Post 2017年7月24日 GMT-4 11:45
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月23日 GMT-4 09:05
Hi

You seem to have a thin layer device there, perhaps a MEMS device, or just something "thin" compared to its horizontal extend.
These are objects known hard to mesh.

To get a better control and observation of the selections and probably splitting's you need to perform, I suggest to you to add a new View (right click the "Definitions" node and just select the View), and for this one select the "automatic" scaling a couple of sub-nodes below the new View node in the model tree.

Then for learning how to mesh such structures, check the how to videos of the main COMSOL site i.e. the series including mesh tutorials, and do not forget the BLOG posts on their webseite
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You seem to have a thin layer device there, perhaps a MEMS device, or just something "thin" compared to its horizontal extend. These are objects known hard to mesh. To get a better control and observation of the selections and probably splitting's you need to perform, I suggest to you to add a new View (right click the "Definitions" node and just select the View), and for this one select the "automatic" scaling a couple of sub-nodes below the new View node in the model tree. Then for learning how to mesh such structures, check the how to videos of the main COMSOL site i.e. the series including mesh tutorials, and do not forget the BLOG posts on their webseite -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月24日 GMT-4 07:58
Updated: 7 years ago 2017年7月24日 GMT-4 09:03
Hello Mack,

Very thin (and very elongated) structures like this one lend themselves very well to swept meshing. See Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics, version 5.3, Chapter 8, and in particular the swept mesh tutorial that starts on page 593. This blog is also right on topic: www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-swept-meshes/ .

In case some parts of a structure lends itself to swept meshing while some others don't, you can partition the geometry before meshing and use different meshing strategies in the different chunks thus created. See e.g. www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-partitioning/ .
Best,
Jeff
Hello Mack, Very thin (and very elongated) structures like this one lend themselves very well to swept meshing. See Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics, version 5.3, Chapter 8, and in particular the swept mesh tutorial that starts on page 593. This blog is also right on topic: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-swept-meshes/ . In case some parts of a structure lends itself to swept meshing while some others don't, you can partition the geometry before meshing and use different meshing strategies in the different chunks thus created. See e.g. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-partitioning/ . Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月24日 GMT-4 11:45
Yes, that`s a MEMS structure. Domain 2 has thickness of 0.2 microns....

Will go through your suggested technique and tutorial...

Many thanks

--
Mack
Yes, that`s a MEMS structure. Domain 2 has thickness of 0.2 microns.... Will go through your suggested technique and tutorial... Many thanks -- Mack

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.