Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

One more thing COMSOL can not do or am I wrong?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

currently, I am working on a 3D steady-state laser welding simulation. To further improve the analysis I wanted to add some physics and to change the approach from steady-state to transient. The task becomes too complex to compute it in 3D ... so I decided to take the middle plane of my 3D model. Now I wanted to somehow use my results from the middle cross section as an initial condition for the 2D model, but surprise surprise, it is not possible!

What did I try?

First approach: I wasn't sure, so I tried it. I defined a work plane in the middle of my 3D model. After that, I used the cross-section to define the new geometry for the 2D model and I was hoping that COMSOL will recognize the values when I check the Values of Dependent Variables box. But of course not, somehow COMSOL ignores it, maybe because there is no information on which height the 2D model is.

Second approach: I thought, maybe I could map the variables with a Liner or even General Extrusion operator. But of course it doesn't work, because in general it is not allowed to define any variable under initial values (for this we have the option Values of Dependent Variables) and unfortunately in 2D I can only define a variable on the boundary but not on the 2D domain. By the way, it works from 2D to 3D because in 3D I can map the solution from the 2D model directly on the boundary and so to override/prescribe the values of the variables defined on this surface.

Third approach: I decided to export the results from the cross section for all variables. I externally removed the third column (with the height coordinates) and imported the data again to COMSOL so that I was able to define an interpolation function of those. But here I still had the same problem, it is not possible to map the variable from the function on the 2D domain, but only within its boundaries.

...so COMSOL users, is there somebody who could help? Is there a workaround?

I will appreciate any help...

Best regards Antoni

P.S.: Don't forget to have fun with COMSOL :D!

0 Replies Last Post 2017年10月12日 GMT-4 14:02
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Antoni Artinov

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.