Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Phase calculation of S-parameter

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to calculate the phase of S-parameters e.g. S11=real(S11)+i * imag(S11) to mag(S11) & angle(S11) At first, i think that just using the angle or arg function can transform cartsian to polar form.

Then i found the paper [Z. Szabo, G.-H. Park, R. Hedge, and E.-P. Li, “A Unique Extraction of Metamaterial Parameters Based on Kramers–Kronig Relationship,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 2646–2653, Oct. 2010.] and there is an matlab code with phase and magnitude of S-parameter.

The problem is that in the code, S11 is calculated as following equation S11 = (magnitude of S11) * [cos(phase of S11) - i * sin(phase of S11)] It shows that the phase equals to -angle or -arg of S11

What is correct method of calculation of S11?

P.S. I found comsol equation to calculate of S-parameter which is "if(abs(arg(ewfd.beta_1))<=0.25pi||abs(arg(ewfd.beta_1))>=0.75pi,ewfd.S1xexp(-jroot.phase),0) " If someone can interpret of this equation, i will very thanks to your kindness,,, please help me!

1 Reply Last Post 2018年1月6日 GMT-5 02:23
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Taeil Kim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月6日 GMT-5 02:23

I am from EEE background so matlab is most important thing to solve this type of problem. When you found a solution with COMSOL then it will better for you to learn more about that. This problem has a easy solution with livelink. Let me know of you need more help to solve that :)

I am from EEE background so matlab is most important thing to solve this type of problem. When you found a solution with COMSOL then it will better for you to learn more about that. This problem has a easy solution with livelink. Let me know of you need more help to solve that :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.