Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

VCSEL simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, all

Before doing VCSEL simulation I have designed an MQW LED, and its performance looks good. I also deigned DBRs and cavities. The module I applied in this step is electromagnetic wave-Frequency Domain module, and the incident light within my desired spectrum (actually, within the spectrum of the LED) can cause resonance, and the Q factor is acceptable for me. So I think the FP cavity (structure: DBR/LED/DBR) is successful.

The next step for my simulation work is to combine these two physics-modules together, yet I have problem here. The module I use in this step is semiconductor->semiconductor optoelectronics frequency domain, yet I don’t understand how to simulate this process: spontaneous emission in LED, and the LED light source makes stimulated emission within the FP cavity, and the cavity constrained the light and cause another stimulation emission. You know, the emission rate generated in the previous step cannot be transferred as the incident power of the cavity automatically. So, did anyone calculate the gain and spectrum and the electric field vs. time based on comsol?

4 Replies Last Post 2018年4月21日 GMT-4 11:38

Posted: 6 years ago 2017年10月23日 GMT-4 21:13

Now, I want to update my question, the module I apply is still semiconductor optoelectronics frequency domain. When I define ports for electromagnetic waves frequency domain module, how can I define the incident power and frequency? It should be generated by the active region, but I don't know the functions.

Now, I want to update my question, the module I apply is still **semiconductor optoelectronics frequency domain**. When I define ports for **electromagnetic waves frequency domain** module, how can I define the incident power and frequency? It should be generated by the active region, but I don't know the functions.

Posted: 6 years ago 2017年10月24日 GMT-4 10:54

update my VCSEL simulation questions:

First, I'm not sure if the FP model is right. In tutorial example, the fabry-perot cavity model has no port, so I don't understand where is the light source and what is the incident power? I don't know why there is a line current. Seemingly, the value of line current can influence the magnitude of the electric field within the cavity.

Second, if I add ports into my model, the incident power and incident frequency should be generated by the active region (LED). I cannot figure out the expressions of them.You know, the unit of emission is 1/s while the unit of incident power is W. Could you please solve that for me?

Third, the light sources in my VCSEL are those quantum wells, and quantum wells, of course, is in my cavity. However, I cannot put the port in my cavity, instead, I should put my port on the boundary. How can I solve the problem here?

I will be very appreciated if anybody can help me. Thank you!

update my VCSEL simulation questions: First, I'm not sure if the FP model is right. In tutorial example, the fabry-perot cavity model has no port, so I don't understand where is the light source and what is the incident power? I don't know why there is a line current. Seemingly, the value of line current can influence the magnitude of the electric field within the cavity. Second, if I add ports into my model, the incident power and incident frequency should be generated by the active region (LED). I cannot figure out the expressions of them.You know, the unit of emission is 1/s while the unit of incident power is W. Could you please solve that for me? Third, the light sources in my VCSEL are those quantum wells, and quantum wells, of course, is in my cavity. However, I cannot put the port in my cavity, instead, I should put my port on the boundary. How can I solve the problem here? I will be very appreciated if anybody can help me. Thank you!

Posted: 6 years ago 2017年12月6日 GMT-5 19:10

Hi,

I am trying to use comsol for laser design. Is it possible to share your model for me to use as tutorial?

Regards, Susant

Hi, I am trying to use comsol for laser design. Is it possible to share your model for me to use as tutorial? Regards, Susant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年4月21日 GMT-4 11:38

I also baffaled with the same type of queries can some one really , help me to design a 3d mqw laser using semiconductor and wave optics both module

I also baffaled with the same type of queries can some one really , help me to design a 3d mqw laser using semiconductor and wave optics both module

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.