Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Complex relative magnetic permeability

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, my name is Jesus and I'm mainly working in induction heating. We have simulated a 2D induction heating system with an ideal coil (i.e. modeled as a constant current density) and we have tried to calculate the resistance contribution which represents the power dissipation on the workpiece. Workpiece is modeled as a linear material with constant electrical conductivity and magnetic permeability. We have checked up to four methods: -Real part of the Poynting's vector flux. -Real part of the coil voltage divided by the coil current, i.e., the real part of the ideal coil impedance. -Volume integration of the volumetric loss density mf.Qh in the workpiece. -Volume integration of Joule's loss, defined as the product of the electrical field (mf.Ephi) and the conjugate of the current density (mf.Jphi) in the workpiece.

Results of four methods are identical excepting when complex magnetic permeability is assigned to the workpiece (for example mur= 1000-1000i). In this case, the method four gives a different result, even using induced current density mf.Jiphi. Why is it different?

0 Replies Last Post 2017年11月2日 GMT-4 06:07
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jesus Acero

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.