Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PZT-5A deflection under applied voltage

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How much voltage must be applied to upper surfaces (100mm50mm) of a piezoelectric block of dimensions 100mm50mm*0.5mm to get deflection of more than 1mm. And how 3D modelling is different from 2D modelling in terms of width?

3 Replies Last Post 2017年11月8日 GMT-5 11:13
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2017年11月6日 GMT-5 21:22
  1. A strain of 0.01 would be a very large strain and would require unphysically large applied voltage.
  2. You haven't precisely explained your configuration. However the particular geometry you describe can be solved directly using the piezoelectric equations. You do not need a simulation.
  3. There are two types of 2D simulation which represent different limits of a 3D problem. A plane strain simulation (the default in Comsol) is the limit appropriate for a specimen very thick in one dimension. The plane stress approximation is appropriate for a very thin specimen. In between a 3D simulation will be required.

D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

1. A strain of 0.01 would be a very large strain and would require unphysically large applied voltage. 2. You haven't precisely explained your configuration. However the particular geometry you describe can be solved directly using the piezoelectric equations. You do not need a simulation. 3. There are two types of 2D simulation which represent different limits of a 3D problem. A plane strain simulation (the default in Comsol) is the limit appropriate for a specimen very thick in one dimension. The plane stress approximation is appropriate for a very thin specimen. In between a 3D simulation will be required. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 6 years ago 2017年11月7日 GMT-5 05:19

Thanks for your response. We are checking the deflection of piezoelectric bimorph layer with substrate material of ABS and PZT-5A as piezolectric. We are taking reference of a thesis by Marek Hudec which I have attached here and also the shared link. According to him the canteliver deflection is inversely proportional to its width but the same modelling in comsol is not giving the required deflection relation. I have attached the image in which he have used Y1(youngs modulus of MFC at constant electric field) instead of using the Youngs modulus of MFC. Can you please tell me which Youngs modulus should be taken in calculations and what is the relation of the deflection with width of the canteliver. Kindly have a close look at the moment integral due to piezoelectric properties mentioned in the thesis.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M_wXDpNHcrQQWK1irsyENCAkvwbjI2pZ

Thanks for your response. We are checking the deflection of piezoelectric bimorph layer with substrate material of ABS and PZT-5A as piezolectric. We are taking reference of a thesis by Marek Hudec which I have attached here and also the shared link. According to him the canteliver deflection is inversely proportional to its width but the same modelling in comsol is not giving the required deflection relation. I have attached the image in which he have used Y1(youngs modulus of MFC at constant electric field) instead of using the Youngs modulus of MFC. Can you please tell me which Youngs modulus should be taken in calculations and what is the relation of the deflection with width of the canteliver. Kindly have a close look at the moment integral due to piezoelectric properties mentioned in the thesis. [https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M_wXDpNHcrQQWK1irsyENCAkvwbjI2pZ](http://)

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2017年11月8日 GMT-5 11:13

This is a vastly different and more complex question than the one you originally posed.

Perhaps this will be read by someone who is familiar with that specific document and who can help you out.

D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

This is a vastly different and more complex question than the one you originally posed. Perhaps this will be read by someone who is familiar with that specific document and who can help you out. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.