Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Novice Question - Partitioning Domains in 2-D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I'm working on a Comsol design of a device through which fluid will flow. I used SolidWorks to design the device, and imported the relevant face as a .DXF to obtain the 2-dimensional cross section that I want to model flow through. The overall design is thus: Design

I'd like to keep this domain: Domain to be kept

And subtract these domains: Domains to be subtracted

I've used the "partition domains" function to identify/highlight the relevant portions, but I seem to be unable to use the "difference" tool to delete the domains I want gone. I need to use the edges of the to-be-subtracted domains as walls, and the vertical lines connecting the innermost rings as the outlets.

Any help is greatly appreciated, please let me know if more clarification is needed.

2 Replies Last Post 2017年12月16日 GMT-5 15:05
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2017年12月15日 GMT-5 15:09

Skylar,

You can use Conversion/Split option to partition domains and then delete/substract domains, as illustrated in the attached dummy model.

Regards,

Sergei

Skylar, You can use Conversion/Split option to partition domains and then delete/substract domains, as illustrated in the attached dummy model. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 6 years ago 2017年12月16日 GMT-5 15:05

Hello Sergei,

Thank you for your reply. I seem to be unable to build the object, and am also unable to toggle any of the input domain selections to 'on'. I notice, though, that when the switch is off, I am able to select different sub-domains - this is also the case in my model, but I lose this capability when I try to switch it to 'on'.

I believe the reason I am unable to build the object and test out the split/delete functions is because I don't have the X-Section.mphbin that Comsol is trying to import, is this correct?

Switch Off Switch On X-Section

Hello Sergei, Thank you for your reply. I seem to be unable to build the object, and am also unable to toggle any of the input domain selections to 'on'. I notice, though, that when the switch is off, I am able to select different sub-domains - this is also the case in my model, but I lose this capability when I try to switch it to 'on'. I believe the reason I am unable to build the object and test out the split/delete functions is because I don't have the X-Section.mphbin that Comsol is trying to import, is this correct? ![Switch Off](https://i.imgur.com/VKfRZ3v.png) ![Switch On](https://i.imgur.com/dVfDwwb.png) ![X-Section](https://i.imgur.com/EGV50D3.png)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.