Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using Material Properties in Equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am trying to build a gravitational potential simulation to investigate Roche limits. I am using the Poisson's Equation module to model Newtonian gravity. I have built a simple geometry of the Earth and Moon as spheres, each with their own densities, rho, and a large block of space of 0 density around them.

In the source term, I have f=4 * pi * G * root.material.rho

It is returning a seemingly homogeneous field, pictured here. I am thinking that perhaps I have used the wrong syntax and it is not reading the density of each material to calculate the potential. Can anybody help?

It may also be that I have not specified the correct boundary conditions. If anybody has any ideas, please share. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Found the Dirichlet Boundary Condition setting and that appears to have fixed it.

0 Replies Last Post 2018年4月8日 GMT-4 15:55
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Martin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.