Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Structural model and Complex Velocity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

Maybe this is a fundamental question but, I am a little bit confused to see complex velocity results in my structural model which doesn't have any loss / damping or visco-elastic material?

Can somebody please explain me how this happens with v_t_smsh variable or similar variables with "_t_"?

Thanks,
Onur

4 Replies Last Post 2010年2月1日 GMT-5 12:33
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年11月23日 GMT-5 08:24
Hi

Is it possible to be lightly more expliit about what you are doing: application mode, type of modelling, BC's ... it would help to better understand your case.

I agree, normally complex values are only linked to damping in structural
Ivar
Hi Is it possible to be lightly more expliit about what you are doing: application mode, type of modelling, BC's ... it would help to better understand your case. I agree, normally complex values are only linked to damping in structural Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年11月23日 GMT-5 08:49
Hi,

First of all, thank you for your interest in my problem.

To simplify my problem, I have created a 3D Structural Frequency Analysis model, with a conical shell geometry. I have applied a force (real) from the circumfrence where the radius is small and the direction is paralel to the symmetry axis of the cone. The other edge of the cone was left free. I picked a direct solver and solved the problem. After the solution is complete without any warnings, I am clicking on the Boundary Integration and I am selecting the cone surface to integrate. The result is a complex number. On the other hand, the displacement or the acceleration results are real.

Any ideas?
/Onur
Hi, First of all, thank you for your interest in my problem. To simplify my problem, I have created a 3D Structural Frequency Analysis model, with a conical shell geometry. I have applied a force (real) from the circumfrence where the radius is small and the direction is paralel to the symmetry axis of the cone. The other edge of the cone was left free. I picked a direct solver and solved the problem. After the solution is complete without any warnings, I am clicking on the Boundary Integration and I am selecting the cone surface to integrate. The result is a complex number. On the other hand, the displacement or the acceleration results are real. Any ideas? /Onur

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年11月27日 GMT-5 17:09
Hi

if you are doing a frequency analysis it's normal, as the velocity is 90° out of phase from the acceleration, it comes from the j*omega representation from my understanding, just as displacement and acceleration has 180° dephasing (but both are real without any damping)

Ivar
Hi if you are doing a frequency analysis it's normal, as the velocity is 90° out of phase from the acceleration, it comes from the j*omega representation from my understanding, just as displacement and acceleration has 180° dephasing (but both are real without any damping) Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年2月1日 GMT-5 12:33
Hi Ivar,
I have the following problem if you can help me:
I am trying to build a model of one object that moving with different speeds and come in contact with other object (see attachment), what i want to know How can i model the object to move with different speed and how can figure out the Vonmises stress during the simulation

Thanx
Ali
Hi Ivar, I have the following problem if you can help me: I am trying to build a model of one object that moving with different speeds and come in contact with other object (see attachment), what i want to know How can i model the object to move with different speed and how can figure out the Vonmises stress during the simulation Thanx Ali

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.