Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary condition & Periodic Boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I using PDE Coefficient ( Transient)mode to solve coupled nolinear PDEs. I need to give the one of the bounday condition as value of the variable. Eg T=300. If I use Dirichlet BC, is it right to specify h= 300?

Another Question
I need to change this BC, at regular intervels. Eg when t=0, T=300 & when t=50 , T=360 & when t =100, T=300 and so on. I hope I can do it with periodic BC.In this case what should i give as ' Exprssion', 'Constraint name','Source','Destination'.?

Your reply highly apprecaited
Thank you
Ramadas

3 Replies Last Post 2009年11月29日 GMT-5 22:50
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年11月28日 GMT-5 03:19
Hi

I'm not sure to have catched all, but for me if you have a time depending function you can use bolean functions to make piecevise Boundary condition variables

T=T1*(t<1)+T2*(t>=1)*(t<5) ...

to make the transitions smoother and derivable, use rather heaviside functions, you will find them in the Comsol documentation

You can also make global functions and apply them, then at least you should assure that they have defined derivatives

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure to have catched all, but for me if you have a time depending function you can use bolean functions to make piecevise Boundary condition variables T=T1*(t=1)*(t

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年11月28日 GMT-5 04:59
Hi Ivar,

Attached herewith is the model file.
Here 4 variables are there. At present I am using a single BC and trying to solve. Once it is succesful, I need to use a periodic BC.

First about the present model. I need to put left boundary condition like this: Yg=0.0195 and Tg=300K. All other BC are adiabatic & impermiable ie insulated.So is it right to set BC as Dirichlit and specifying h=0.0195 & h=300 in the respective boxes as done in the file? Is this right?
Is correct to put all other BCs are Neumann to define as insulated.?( I mean no variation with x)?

Once this is done, I need to try for periodic BC. This problem I am trying to solve for the period t= 0 to 100. For the period 0-50, BC1(Yg=0.0195 and Tg=300K) to be applied and for period 50-100,BC2(Yg=0.008 and Tg=360K) to be applied. How is this to be done?

Thanks a lot
Regards
Ramadas

Hi Ivar, Attached herewith is the model file. Here 4 variables are there. At present I am using a single BC and trying to solve. Once it is succesful, I need to use a periodic BC. First about the present model. I need to put left boundary condition like this: Yg=0.0195 and Tg=300K. All other BC are adiabatic & impermiable ie insulated.So is it right to set BC as Dirichlit and specifying h=0.0195 & h=300 in the respective boxes as done in the file? Is this right? Is correct to put all other BCs are Neumann to define as insulated.?( I mean no variation with x)? Once this is done, I need to try for periodic BC. This problem I am trying to solve for the period t= 0 to 100. For the period 0-50, BC1(Yg=0.0195 and Tg=300K) to be applied and for period 50-100,BC2(Yg=0.008 and Tg=360K) to be applied. How is this to be done? Thanks a lot Regards Ramadas

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年11月29日 GMT-5 22:50
Hi Niklas/ Ivar

Can anyone answer this ?

Your reply well appreciated

Regards
Ramadas
Hi Niklas/ Ivar Can anyone answer this ? Your reply well appreciated Regards Ramadas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.