Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Matlab memory usage

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have a simple question regarding the Comsol w/ Matlab interface. I have noticed that when I run long parametric sweeps, sometimes I will run out of memory. Since some of my models are fairly memory intensive, this part does not surprise me. However, when I run out of memory, I will clear the workspace using the "clear" command. When I do this, I then check the virtual memory being consumed by Matlab, and I have noticed repeatedly that it is still using nearly as much as before I cleared the workspace. Currently, my only solution is to shut down Matlab completely and restart. Only then will the virtual memory usage go down to a reasonable value.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there any other options I could try so that I don't have to do a full shut-down. Are there any other variables or processes running in the background that I should be aware of? This may be more of a Matlab issue than Comsol, but I've only noticed it with Comsol since its calculations are so memory intensive.

Thanks,

Mike

3 Replies Last Post 2009年12月16日 GMT-5 14:15

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年12月4日 GMT-5 07:24
I think it is more a Comsol thing than a Matlab thing - typically the only way I have found to get it to release the memory properly is to close both the applications. Not quite sure what causes the problem to happen though I'm afraid.
I think it is more a Comsol thing than a Matlab thing - typically the only way I have found to get it to release the memory properly is to close both the applications. Not quite sure what causes the problem to happen though I'm afraid.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年12月16日 GMT-5 14:06
I have run into this issue a few times. In one case a simple call to 'postscrossplot' would increase MATLAB's reported memory usage by 2+ GB each at each call and the memory would never release. One simple fix for my problem was to periodically reload/reread the MPH file. That would release the memory that MATLAB/COMSOL would not otherwise release, and leave all other variables in your workspace available.
I have run into this issue a few times. In one case a simple call to 'postscrossplot' would increase MATLAB's reported memory usage by 2+ GB each at each call and the memory would never release. One simple fix for my problem was to periodically reload/reread the MPH file. That would release the memory that MATLAB/COMSOL would not otherwise release, and leave all other variables in your workspace available.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年12月16日 GMT-5 14:15
A quick update. Another user privately e-mailed some helpful advice. Using the pack function helps to consolidate the workspace memory:

cwd = pwd;
cd(tempdir);
pack
cd(cwd)

I haven't recently had high memory usage problems, so I haven't been able to fully test the usefulness of this function. However, it does seem to make a difference even when I am only using a small amount of virtual memory. Hopefully this will help others with the same problem.

Mike
A quick update. Another user privately e-mailed some helpful advice. Using the pack function helps to consolidate the workspace memory: cwd = pwd; cd(tempdir); pack cd(cwd) I haven't recently had high memory usage problems, so I haven't been able to fully test the usefulness of this function. However, it does seem to make a difference even when I am only using a small amount of virtual memory. Hopefully this will help others with the same problem. Mike

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.