Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello world !

I being a relatively recent Comsol newbie, evaluation stage.

I am adressing a curious outcome in the Structural Mechanics module, 2D. Beginning with a simple system like a polymer foil 20 um thick 100 um wide.

The left side of the foil I set it fixed, whereas the right side is loaded with a force Fx= 10000.
After simple meshing & solving the outcome is a strained system with a ~ 5% strain.

Then I double the applied load (Fx=20000) and (!) the outcome is the same: the system strain is 5%.
When the load is increased 5 times (Fx=50000), then the system is strained again to 5% ! : - s !

I am doing something wrong? I would expect that for a load double, the strain would double as well.

0 Replies Last Post 2009年12月4日 GMT-5 14:48
COMSOL Moderator

Hello albertp albertp

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.