Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer across two metal contact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to simulate heat transfer across a junction built of copper and aluminum. Could you help me how to define the physics?

4 Replies Last Post 2018年8月1日 GMT-4 11:18

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年7月31日 GMT-4 16:18

Hi Jakub,

What kind of help do you need?

Hi Jakub, What kind of help do you need?

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月1日 GMT-4 10:23

I have a problem with defining physics of my model. I built two blocks, first of aluminum, second copper. On one wall of aluminium block I put temperature. After solving it seems that there's no heat transfer.

I have a problem with defining physics of my model. I built two blocks, first of aluminum, second copper. On one wall of aluminium block I put temperature. After solving it seems that there's no heat transfer.

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月1日 GMT-4 10:51

Hi Jakub,

It is not necessary a problem. Maybe there is heat transfer but you can not see anything significant because your final time is too small. By my experience when you select the materials of COMSOL library for heat transfer you should be careful because most of them have a high specific heat (more energy is necessary to increase the temperature by 1ºC) and a small thermal conductivity (their are "poor heat conductors"). Plus, it also depends on your initial conditions. My suggestion is that you define a very high temperature in one wall, change your thermal conductivity and specific heat (or even try choosing other materials). Also, increase your final time (at least 10 or 100x times bigger maybe) and refine your mesh if you are expecting a large temperature gradient.

Let us know about your progress.

Best,

Nichal

Hi Jakub, It is not necessary a problem. Maybe there is heat transfer but you can not see anything significant because your final time is too small. By my experience when you select the materials of COMSOL library for heat transfer you should be careful because most of them have a high specific heat (more energy is necessary to increase the temperature by 1ºC) and a small thermal conductivity (their are "poor heat conductors"). Plus, it also depends on your initial conditions. My suggestion is that you define a very high temperature in one wall, change your thermal conductivity and specific heat (or even try choosing other materials). Also, increase your final time (at least 10 or 100x times bigger maybe) and refine your mesh if you are expecting a large temperature gradient. Let us know about your progress. Best, Nichal

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月1日 GMT-4 11:18
Updated: 6 years ago 2018年8月1日 GMT-4 11:44

Could you show me an simple example.

edit: I got it, thanks.

Could you show me an simple example. edit: I got it, thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.