Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Automated selection in assembly finalization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am working with comsol just over 2 years now and since the introduction of selections I am trying to leverage them to automate my models. However I find the functionallity so far quite limiting and confusing. In order to illustrate my problem, I have attached a simple model built in comsol 5.3a.

In this model you see 4 small blocks (Cells) sitting inside a big block (Polymer). I also performed an intersection on the polymer so that I am left only with 5 solid objects. I perform my finalization as an assembly because I need to define interface behaviour later on (so union is not an option).

The problem which I cannot wrap my head around sits when we look at the box selection at the end. In this selection I try to select only the top interface boundary of the cells. To achieve this I use the cells selection created earlier in the model and make a box selection so that only the top boundry sits within the selection. What I see happening is that even though only the cells selection is used also the interface boundries of the polymer are inside the selection. Then I find myself wondering how to select these interface boundries in an automated way. I tried many iterations without succes. Also If this would not be possible without resorting to API or matlab livelink (basically programming your own selections), then I wonder why they introduce the feature in first place as they cannot be used to select the boundries of specific selections unless used in a union finalization. I also noticed that even though I have 5 solid object in my model, only one final object is created at the end (try objects selection from the grahpics window). Fixing this might also lead to a solution but havent found a way.

I cannot imagine being the only one strugeling with this, so if anyone has a solution please lett me know.

Kind regards

Philippe

4 Replies Last Post 2018年8月24日 GMT-4 10:16
Yara Soares COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月24日 GMT-4 06:33

Dear Philippe,

I saw that you haven't received an answer yet to your question. if you have access to a license, please consider submitting your question to support@comsol.com.

Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards,

Yara Soares

COMSOL BV | Röntgenlaan 37 | 2719 DX Zoetermeer Phone: +31 (0)79 363 4230 | Fax: +31 (0)79 361 4212

www.comsol.nl | yara.soares@comsol.com

Dear Philippe, I saw that you haven't received an answer yet to your question. if you have access to a license, please consider submitting your question to support@comsol.com. Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards, Yara Soares -------------------------------------------------------------------------- COMSOL BV | Röntgenlaan 37 | 2719 DX Zoetermeer Phone: +31 (0)79 363 4230 | Fax: +31 (0)79 361 4212 www.comsol.nl | yara.soares@comsol.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月24日 GMT-4 07:36

Dear Yara,

I frequently see this kind of advice to contact support in case of questions that didn't receive an answer from the community.

Why not asking a suitable support person to take care of the issue in the forum? The issue may be interesting for other users as well and the original poster has already demonstrated he/she is willing to share the issue to the public. The forum would definitely improve from more expert contributions from Comsol.

I am also sometimes struggling with the behavior of selections.

Thanks for your consideration, best regards Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Dear Yara, I frequently see this kind of advice to contact support in case of questions that didn't receive an answer from the community. Why not asking a suitable support person to take care of the issue in the forum? The issue may be interesting for other users as well and the original poster has already demonstrated he/she is willing to share the issue to the public. The forum would definitely improve from more expert contributions from Comsol. I am also sometimes struggling with the behavior of selections. Thanks for your consideration, best regards Edgar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月24日 GMT-4 08:32

Hello Edgar,

To keep it short: the Discussion Forum is set up for discussions among users, while our support portal is there so that users who are under a support contract can ask questions from COMSOL staff.

Even if a license is eligible for support, there are a host of reasons why we are frequently not able to "[ask] a suitable support person to take care of the issue in the forum", ranging from confidentiality obligations (that the individual user may or may not be aware of, and that they cannot waive), record retention obligations, constraints on who we are allowed to assign to support a particular query under the terms of the contract, continuity of service when employees are out of office, etc, all of which are addressed by our support portal.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Edgar, To keep it short: the Discussion Forum is set up for discussions among users, while our support portal is there so that users who are under a support contract can ask questions from COMSOL staff. Even if a license is eligible for support, there are a host of reasons why we are frequently not able to "[ask] a suitable support person to take care of the issue in the forum", ranging from confidentiality obligations (that the individual user may or may not be aware of, and that they cannot waive), record retention obligations, constraints on who we are allowed to assign to support a particular query under the terms of the contract, continuity of service when employees are out of office, etc, all of which are addressed by our support portal. Best, Jeff

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月24日 GMT-4 10:16

Hi Jeff,

there may be different attitudes within COMSOL. Refer to this thread, which indeed was an extremely useful one for me at that time:

https://www.comsol.de/forum/thread/77311/lorentz-term-for-ferromagnetic-bodies?last=2015-05-20T20:15:12Z

Cheers, Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Jeff, there may be different attitudes within COMSOL. Refer to this thread, which indeed was an extremely useful one for me at that time: https://www.comsol.de/forum/thread/77311/lorentz-term-for-ferromagnetic-bodies?last=2015-05-20T20:15:12Z Cheers, Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.