Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Empty Elasticity and Coupling matrix

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have noticed that sometimes when Si or Cu is used as a material for piezoelectric or piezoresistive simulations, comsol gives empty Elasticity and Coupling matrix. hence i have to manually input those matrixes in order perform simulation further more. So what is this?

I have attached a screenshot.

5 Replies Last Post 2018年8月26日 GMT-4 05:05
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月22日 GMT-4 17:35

Umm...these are not piezoelectric materials. You need to make them linear elastic materials.

Umm...these are not piezoelectric materials. You need to make them linear elastic materials.

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月23日 GMT-4 03:23

I understand that. But how can I make them Linear Elastic material. I am trying to harnest energy using Piezoelectric material. So that I need electrodes to capture that potential.

>Umm...these are not piezoelectric materials. You need to make them linear elastic materials. I understand that. But how can I make them Linear Elastic material. I am trying to harnest energy using Piezoelectric material. So that I need electrodes to capture that potential.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月23日 GMT-4 07:47

Delete the electrodes from the piezoelectric subnode and they will automatically appear in the linear elastic default node.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Delete the electrodes from the piezoelectric subnode and they will automatically appear in the linear elastic default node.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月23日 GMT-4 08:15

Note that a linear elastic material can still be part of the solution in the Electrostatics interface, it is just that the electric and mechanical fields are uncoupled. So you need to remove those domain also from Charge Conservation, Piezoelectric so that they appear in the selection for the default Charge Conservation node.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Note that a linear elastic material can still be part of the solution in the Electrostatics interface, it is just that the electric and mechanical fields are uncoupled. So you need to remove those domain also from Charge Conservation, Piezoelectric so that they appear in the selection for the default Charge Conservation node. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年8月26日 GMT-4 05:05

Thank you all for the information. Really helpfull. Comsol is a stronge analytical tool but, amount of tutorials are very low. Anyway we still use it because of its power and accuracy.

Thank you all for the information. Really helpfull. Comsol is a stronge analytical tool but, amount of tutorials are very low. Anyway we still use it because of its power and accuracy.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.