Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Snap to GRID?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

most of the time, when I import designs from an *.stp files into COMSOL, the resulting domain does not have round coordinates, or corrdinates with 1 or 2 numbers after the comma. I found coordinates like: (7.35011993, -54.49998178, -11.8) for example. The consequence of such coordinates is that it is very hard to build the rest of the components, as other faces will either overlap or they will not be in contact with the faces of the imported domain. Is there a function like "SNAP to GRID" in order to place the imported design onto the closest grid coordinates, please? Or is there another way, like attaching the referential to the imported domain, please?

Thank you! Regards, David

3 Replies Last Post 2018年10月16日 GMT-4 09:04
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 2018年10月15日 GMT-4 04:59

David,

you can simply move the whole import to a position that is convenient for you.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
David, you can simply move the whole import to a position that is convenient for you. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago 2018年10月16日 GMT-4 08:07

Hello Edgar,

thank you for your help. What you say is what I would like to do. But to move the entire structure, I have to apply some translations like the coordinates that COMSOL sees. I would look further.

Reards, David

Hello Edgar, thank you for your help. What you say is what I would like to do. But to move the entire structure, I have to apply some translations like the coordinates that COMSOL sees. I would look further. Reards, David

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 2018年10月16日 GMT-4 09:04
Updated: 5 years ago 2018年10月16日 GMT-4 09:05

David,

the translation feature is available in Comsol's geometry editor. After importing, determine the coordinates of the point you want to be the origin (using the 'measure' function) and apply the translation by the negative of these coordinates to the whole structure. The point will then display (0, 0, 0) if measured.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
David, the translation feature is available in Comsol's geometry editor. After importing, determine the coordinates of the point you want to be the origin (using the 'measure' function) and apply the translation by the negative of these coordinates to the whole structure. The point will then display (0, 0, 0) if measured. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.