Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric field parallel to electron current density

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to make an electro-thermal GaN-HEMT device model on Comsol using the Semiconductor and Heat Transfer modules.

I have tried to incorporate the Caughey-Thomas mobility model to evaluate field dependent mobility at high drain voltages (Vds). However, I could not succeed in predicting the experimental data accurately. Therefore, I have decided to manually input a field-dependent mobility expression (known as Canali model). For that purpose, I need to make "Electric field parallel to electron current density" an input to my user defined expression.

When I activate the Caughey-Thomas mobility model (mmct), this particular parameter is automatically calculated by Comsol. Its variable name is: comp1.semi.smm1.mmct1.Epn. In the Caughey-Thomas Mobility tutorial, it is possible to plot the variable as it is readily evaluated.

However, when mmct is not used/activated, this parameter is not recognized by Comsol.

How can I evaluate this parameter in terms of the existing variables in the Semiconductor module? I have been focusing on writing a summation of dot products of J and unit vectors and taking the squareroot of that expression. However, I could not yet find the correct parameters.

I appreciate if you could share your experience or ideas on this.

Thanks, Bugra

0 Replies Last Post 2018年10月17日 GMT-4 04:28
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bugra Kanargi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.