Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Beam with a linear change cross-section(Tapered beam)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The tapered and change cross-section beamlike component is very common in civil engineering . Here, I want to model a tower of Wind Turbine with beam element (Timoshenko) . I can write a expression of Material Coordinate component Z in the field of do and/or di in the settings windows for Cross section data. A lateral force of 1e6N is applied on the top of the tower. The model is simple and can be cacaulated ,but the results data is unreasonable. Theoretically , the internal shear force of tower should be about 1e6N , but its calculation value is far away from 1e6N . If the tower section used a constant do and/or di , the internal shear force caculation value is precisely equal to 1e6N . Obviously , the tower of Wind Turbine model with a change cross-section model cannot be dealed with in the above method . I want to know if Comsol could use tapered beam element just as the Ansys and Abaqus. if it can do this , and how to do ???

0 Replies Last Post 2019年1月3日 GMT-5 01:01
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Fang Bei

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.