Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to fillet the 3D solid cylinder

NaveenKumar Honnagondanahalli

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Friendz,

I am Naveen. I am Working on a tubular Fuel cell. the model is a solid cylinder. i actually need to fillet o one side.

when i do a 2d model and extrude or directly a 3d model i am not able to fillet on the ends or edges.
Bcoz there is no option of fillet once the model is in 3d. plz help me if any of u knows how to go about this problem.

Thank u .
Naveen.

3 Replies Last Post 2015年12月4日 GMT-5 10:08
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年12月30日 GMT-5 05:52
Hi Naveen

Well I would make the model in a CAD tool, as this is the easiest, but perhaps in COMSOL you can use the 2D to 3D " Draw Extrude - Twist ..." but you must do it in small steps as it rotates the end surface, displaces it and then links the two 2D surfaces by straight lines along the extrusion axis, which changes thus your cylinder radius.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Naveen Well I would make the model in a CAD tool, as this is the easiest, but perhaps in COMSOL you can use the 2D to 3D " Draw Extrude - Twist ..." but you must do it in small steps as it rotates the end surface, displaces it and then links the two 2D surfaces by straight lines along the extrusion axis, which changes thus your cylinder radius. Good luck Ivar

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年1月2日 GMT-5 21:22
I'm not sure if I understand your geometry, but... if you are trying to create a cylinder where the normally-sharp circular edges at the ends have been filleted instead, then you should start with a rectangle in 2D, fillet two of the corners, and then revolve the rectangle 360 deg around the edge that has not been filleted. This will yield a cylinder with filleted edges.
I'm not sure if I understand your geometry, but... if you are trying to create a cylinder where the normally-sharp circular edges at the ends have been filleted instead, then you should start with a rectangle in 2D, fillet two of the corners, and then revolve the rectangle 360 deg around the edge that has not been filleted. This will yield a cylinder with filleted edges.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2015年12月4日 GMT-5 10:08
Update on this thread: Nowadays COMSOL does include a direct 3D filleting capability in the Design Module. See www.comsol.com/design-module
Best,
Jeff
Update on this thread: Nowadays COMSOL does include a direct 3D filleting capability in the Design Module. See www.comsol.com/design-module Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.