Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to convert 3D sweep geometry in 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, Could you please tell me how can I convert 3D sweep geomtery into 2D or 2D axissymetric? I want to make tortuous uniform diameter pipe in 2D. I want to change my tortuosity each time and diamter have to be remain same. Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post 2019年11月1日 GMT-4 10:54
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 2019年10月31日 GMT-4 16:51

Hi,

I was quite surprised that the sweep function is not available in 2D. I think I had come across the issue earlier when I found I couldn't for some reasons sweep edges in 3D. Well I found some workaround then.

I am attaching a modified model showing how to obtain a cross section from the 3D component and refer to it in a 2D component. Key is to set up the appropriate work plane that defines the cross section in the 3D component.

This procedure looks a little overengineered and may be, I hope even, there is a simpler method. If not I hope this one works for you.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, I was quite surprised that the sweep function is not available in 2D. I think I had come across the issue earlier when I found I couldn't for some reasons sweep edges in 3D. Well I found some workaround then. I am attaching a modified model showing how to obtain a cross section from the 3D component and refer to it in a 2D component. Key is to set up the appropriate work plane that defines the cross section in the 3D component. This procedure looks a little overengineered and may be, I hope even, there is a simpler method. If not I hope this one works for you. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago 2019年11月1日 GMT-4 10:54
Updated: 4 years ago 2019年11月1日 GMT-4 06:54

Thank you very much. Right now i am working on 5.3a version, therefore i couldnot able to open the file. Could you please convert this file as 5.3 version. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Thank you very much. Right now i am working on 5.3a version, therefore i couldnot able to open the file. Could you please convert this file as 5.3 version. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.