Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid Structure Interaction : Weak or Strong Coupling

Innocentio Loe Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm new here and pretty much new to COMSOL as well.

So, per my understanding, there are two coupling methods when calculating fluid structure interaction, which is by weak coupling or strong coupling. The FSI Multiphysics in COMSOL gives coupling type such as "Fully Coupled" or "Fluid Loading on Structure".

Now, the documentation covers definition such as One-way coupling or Two-way coupling. I'm not really sure how to relate this with the "weak" or "strong" coupling calculation method. Or maybe they're not related at all?

Some example of One-way coupling in COMSOL shows that the study step for the fluid and solid are divided into two steps. So to my understanding, if I calculate both fluid and solid in a single study step, it will be a Two-way coupling. But then I'm still not sure on how will these relate to the weak and strong coupling terms.

Is there any mention on which coupling method is used by COMSOL? Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 2020年1月29日 GMT+8 14:35
Innocentio Loe Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年1月29日 GMT+8 14:35

Hello, so I've tried to have another look on this problem, and seems like I was mistaken. The "weak" and "strong" coupling I mentioned above seems to be goverened by the solver configuration instead, which in this case I believe is using the Segregated Solver.

Now, the question remains whether the Segregated Solver is using "weak" or "strong" coupling. I understand that there are "Direct" or "Iterated" method for the Segregated Solver, yet still not sure how these two will relate to the "weak" or "strong" coupling calculation that I mentioned before.

I appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on this topic.

Hello, so I've tried to have another look on this problem, and seems like I was mistaken. The "weak" and "strong" coupling I mentioned above seems to be goverened by the solver configuration instead, which in this case I believe is using the Segregated Solver. Now, the question remains whether the Segregated Solver is using "weak" or "strong" coupling. I understand that there are "Direct" or "Iterated" method for the Segregated Solver, yet still not sure how these two will relate to the "weak" or "strong" coupling calculation that I mentioned before. I appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on this topic.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.