Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

inverted mesh problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I just started learning COMSOL for my project. I am working on plane strain with fluid interaction module and it gives me inverted mesh error again and again. Could someone please tell me how to fix this problem.I would really appreciate any sort of help.
Thank you,
Manohar

2 Replies Last Post 2009年7月20日 GMT-4 23:30
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年7月20日 GMT-4 18:03
Hi,

from my understanding, inverted meshing is first of all a severe warning that he reasults may be quite wrong, and not only close to the inducated area, but not in 100% of all cases
For me it typically appears when I have not correctly "defeatured" my geometry, that is removed all unecessary small features such as screw holes, fillets, shamfers, badly aligned dxf (a format I hate because its not well defined/normalised, but its the only one really accepted in 2D).

So study your geomtry (and do this in your CAD environment its mostly quicker there), and learn to design in function of the FEM requirements, then add the "small features" for the manufacturing drawings afterwards.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi, from my understanding, inverted meshing is first of all a severe warning that he reasults may be quite wrong, and not only close to the inducated area, but not in 100% of all cases . For me it typically appears when I have not correctly "defeatured" my geometry, that is removed all unecessary small features such as screw holes, fillets, shamfers, badly aligned dxf (a format I hate because its not well defined/normalised, but its the only one really accepted in 2D). So study your geomtry (and do this in your CAD environment its mostly quicker there), and learn to design in function of the FEM requirements, then add the "small features" for the manufacturing drawings afterwards. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年7月20日 GMT-4 23:30
Thank you for your advice Mr.Kjelberg I will look into that. That was helpful.
Thank you for your advice Mr.Kjelberg I will look into that. That was helpful.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.