Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling between silicon waveguides

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear everyone , I am new to comsol and need your help! I would like to ask a question regarding one of the problem i am facing in the simulation of my current project. I want to see coupling of em wave between two silicone waveguides. There are two silicone waveguide of cross section 640[nm] × 480[nm] and of length 10 [um] . Both are placed horizontally 100[nm] apart such that the total length from one end to other end is 20.1 [um] . The light source is of 1550 [nm] wavelength. I would like to know what boundary condition should i set for the waveguide and also should i add a block of air in that 100 [nm] space or not. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 2020年4月29日 GMT-4 21:19
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年4月29日 GMT-4 21:19
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年4月29日 GMT-4 21:20

You need to include in your model all the volume of space that meaningfully contributes to the solution. So yes, you do need to model the space between the waveguides since, after all, you are interested in quantifying how that wave actually crosses through that space (right?) and couples between the waveguides (right?), so that is an important (and perhaps the most important) part of your model.

In regard to other aspects of specifying the problem, I suggest you look at the various RF-related examples that Comsol provides and learn what you can from them. Then, if you still have questions, post your model to the forum, even if it is not quite perfect, so that others here can actually see the details of what you have done (and what you are trying to do) and can then possibly help you in more detail. Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You need to include in your model *all* the volume of space that *meaningfully contributes* to the solution. So yes, you do need to model the space between the waveguides since, after all, you are interested in quantifying how that wave actually crosses through that space (right?) and couples between the waveguides (right?), so that is an important (and perhaps the most important) part of your model. In regard to other aspects of specifying the problem, I suggest you look at the various RF-related examples that Comsol provides and learn what you can from them. Then, if you still have questions, post your model to the forum, even if it is not quite perfect, so that others here can actually see the details of what you have done (and what you are trying to do) and can then possibly help you in more detail. Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.