Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

using variable of one component in another component

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello guys,

I have a model made up of two components, I want to use a variable solved in one component as a background field in the second component but I don't know how to do that. used comp1.something but it doesn't work, also I defined a global variable to hold variable of comp1.something but it doesn't work either. Someone said use " general extrusion " but I don't think that's the case.

Kind regards Jason

5 Replies Last Post 2021年1月20日 GMT-5 12:02

Posted: 3 years ago 2020年9月27日 GMT-4 20:39

I have the same question here. The data can be exported and re-imported, but that's an ugly solution...

-------------------
ZHANG, Pu
School of Physics,
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
I have the same question here. The data can be exported and re-imported, but that's an ugly solution...

Posted: 3 years ago 2020年9月28日 GMT-4 13:24

Hello,

Indeed, a general extrusion will do the trick. Simply define a general extrusion operator in the first component, then call it in the second component as:

comp1.genext1(withsol('sol1',A))

Where 'sol1' is the solution which has the variable A needed from component 1 to component 2.

Let me know if you need more clarification,

Cheers,

Alex

Hello, Indeed, a general extrusion will do the trick. Simply define a general extrusion operator in the first component, then call it in the second component as: comp1.genext1(withsol('sol1',A)) Where 'sol1' is the solution which has the variable A needed from component 1 to component 2. Let me know if you need more clarification, Cheers, Alex

Posted: 3 years ago 2020年9月28日 GMT-4 15:27

Hello,

Indeed, a general extrusion will do the trick. Simply define a general extrusion operator in the first component, then call it in the second component as:

Where 'sol1' is the solution which has the variable A needed from component 1 to component 2.

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks man, my first geometry (comp1) is a rectangle but my second geometry is a rectangle with two holes in it (two solids), could you tell me how do I define this general extrusion?

Kind regards

>Hello, > >Indeed, a general extrusion will do the trick. Simply define a general extrusion operator in the first component, then call it in the second component as: > > comp1.genext1(withsol('sol1',A)) > >Where 'sol1' is the solution which has the variable A needed from component 1 to component 2. > >Let me know if you need more clarification, > >Cheers, > >Alex Thanks man, my first geometry (comp1) is a rectangle but my second geometry is a rectangle with two holes in it (two solids), could you tell me how do I define this general extrusion? Kind regards

Posted: 3 years ago 2020年9月29日 GMT-4 09:48

Hi Jason,

I've never tried using the general extrusion for different geometries, but I suppose it is still possible. If selecting the whole rectangle in the comp1 geometry for the general extrusion does not work, you might be able to define the holes in the comp1 geometry without removing them, so that you can deselect those in the general extrusion. I'm not sure if I'm being clear or if this would apply to your model though...

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Jason, I've never tried using the general extrusion for different geometries, but I suppose it is still possible. If selecting the whole rectangle in the comp1 geometry for the general extrusion does not work, you might be able to define the holes in the comp1 geometry without removing them, so that you can deselect those in the general extrusion. I'm not sure if I'm being clear or if this would apply to your model though... Cheers, Alex

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年1月20日 GMT-5 12:02

Hello,

Cheers,

Alex

Thank you man. You made my day.

Regards, Julian

>Hello, > >Indeed, a general extrusion will do the trick. Simply define a general extrusion operator in the first component, then call it in the second component as: > > comp1.genext1(withsol('sol1',A)) > >Where 'sol1' is the solution which has the variable A needed from component 1 to component 2. > >Let me know if you need more clarification, > >Cheers, > >Alex Thank you man. You made my day. Regards, Julian

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.