Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Shape memory alloys

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I poseted a few days ago regarding a material model for nitinol.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether COMSOL has shape memory alloys, or superelastic materials in a library?

Or do I need to create a user defined library for superelastic materials?

Thanks,

Atma

14 Replies Last Post 2018年2月11日 GMT-5 12:31
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月7日 GMT-4 13:24
There is no built-in material model for shape memory alloys like Nitinol. You have to implement it yourself. That is not a trivial task, but doable. There is one example in the COMSOL model gallery called “Viscoplastic Creep in Solder Joints” that should be a good starting point as it shows how to implement the Anand viscoplastic material. I used a similar approach to implement a Bergstrom-Boyce material model for elastomers and it works.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
There is no built-in material model for shape memory alloys like Nitinol. You have to implement it yourself. That is not a trivial task, but doable. There is one example in the COMSOL model gallery called “Viscoplastic Creep in Solder Joints” that should be a good starting point as it shows how to implement the Anand viscoplastic material. I used a similar approach to implement a Bergstrom-Boyce material model for elastomers and it works. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月8日 GMT-4 22:51
There are no prebuilt libraries for shape memory alloys in comsol.
You can implement the governing equations in coefficient or generalized form.

There are couple of papers published on shape memory alloy modelling on the comsol website.
There are no prebuilt libraries for shape memory alloys in comsol. You can implement the governing equations in coefficient or generalized form. There are couple of papers published on shape memory alloy modelling on the comsol website.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月8日 GMT-4 22:52
btw, what model are you planning to use?
btw, what model are you planning to use?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 19:47
Are there any papers in particular for SMA on COMSOL

I have looked at Thiebaud, Ghosh, and one other.

Thanks,
AB
Are there any papers in particular for SMA on COMSOL I have looked at Thiebaud, Ghosh, and one other. Thanks, AB

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月17日 GMT-4 02:12
Hi
From what I read in the release notes of 4.3, I believe this will be easier with the new release, there will be more advanced pre-cooked physics prepared. But I agreeit doesnt help for 4.2a ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi From what I read in the release notes of 4.3, I believe this will be easier with the new release, there will be more advanced pre-cooked physics prepared. But I agreeit doesnt help for 4.2a ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月30日 GMT-4 08:22
Do you have any model or example about a SMA wire? Or some documentation for "semi"-beginners in COMSOL to learn to model this kind of materials?

Thanks in advance,
Do you have any model or example about a SMA wire? Or some documentation for "semi"-beginners in COMSOL to learn to model this kind of materials? Thanks in advance,

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月30日 GMT-4 08:47
Hi

no unfortunately not from my side, I have high expectations in the new release though, to fullfill one of my futur projects

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi no unfortunately not from my side, I have high expectations in the new release though, to fullfill one of my futur projects -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年6月21日 GMT-4 08:08
Is anything new in COMSOL 4.3 that could help to this? I cannot believe that this material behaviour is not implemented yet... :-(

By the way, Ivar, thanks for all your help. I can see that you actively help hundreds of people here!
Is anything new in COMSOL 4.3 that could help to this? I cannot believe that this material behaviour is not implemented yet... :-( By the way, Ivar, thanks for all your help. I can see that you actively help hundreds of people here!

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年6月27日 GMT-4 11:12
Hi

I'm also interested in examples of NiTi phase change models, particularly how V4.3 non -linear modelling might help us

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm also interested in examples of NiTi phase change models, particularly how V4.3 non -linear modelling might help us -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年6月29日 GMT-4 01:43
Hi,
Can anyone help me with how to proceed for shape memory effect in comsol ?
Hi, Can anyone help me with how to proceed for shape memory effect in comsol ?

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月31日 GMT-4 11:04
Hi,

There is a inbuilt material ti-ni in comsol 5.2 version.

But I am not sure if that takes care of the phase transformations(austenite to martensite and vice versa) internally.

Can anyone help me with the simulation of a SMA wire with comsol.

Regards
Vasudha
Hi, There is a inbuilt material ti-ni in comsol 5.2 version. But I am not sure if that takes care of the phase transformations(austenite to martensite and vice versa) internally. Can anyone help me with the simulation of a SMA wire with comsol. Regards Vasudha

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月31日 GMT-5 03:46

Hi Inbuilt material Ti-Ni in comsol 5.3 version

How change the phase transformation from austenite to martensite , if any help models are there? How to give the material properties in comsol?

Please help me any one.......... Thanks Vasundhara

Hi Inbuilt material Ti-Ni in comsol 5.3 version How change the phase transformation from austenite to martensite , if any help models are there? How to give the material properties in comsol? Please help me any one.......... Thanks Vasundhara

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月31日 GMT-5 07:42
Updated: 6 years ago 2018年1月31日 GMT-5 09:16

Hi,

From version 5.3a, there is a built in material model in Solid Mechanics for shape memory alloys. The material data in the Ni-Ti material in Material Library does however not contain any of the neccessary phase transformation parameters.

For some examples of how to use the Shape Memory Alloy material model, please refer to

https://www.comsol.com/model/uniaxial-loading-of-shape-memory-alloy-54871

This is the same example as is shipped with the product in Application Libraries -> Nonlinear Structural Materials Module -> Shape Memory Alloys -> Uniaxial Loading of Shape Memory Alloy.

Regards,

Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, From version 5.3a, there is a built in material model in Solid Mechanics for shape memory alloys. The material data in the Ni-Ti material in Material Library does however not contain any of the neccessary phase transformation parameters. For some examples of how to use the Shape Memory Alloy material model, please refer to This is the same example as is shipped with the product in Application Libraries -> Nonlinear Structural Materials Module -> Shape Memory Alloys -> Uniaxial Loading of Shape Memory Alloy. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年2月11日 GMT-5 12:31

Hi, Is there any way something like the "Uniaxial Loading of Shape Memory Alloy" Application example can be carried out in the previous version of Comsol, ie. version 5.3? rgds Michael

Hi, Is there any way something like the "Uniaxial Loading of Shape Memory Alloy" Application example can be carried out in the previous version of Comsol, ie. version 5.3? rgds Michael

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.