Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Entities needing a material

Poorvank Sharma Teaching Assistant | IIT Bombay | Vibrational Spectroscopy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

I have a silicon wafer with a nickel nanostructure on top of it. I have assigned the material accordingly and still for the top and bottom surface, there is an error of Entities needing a material. I have tried closing and reopening. Didn't work!. Can anyone help me with this issue?

I m attaching the .mph file.

3 Replies Last Post 2021年1月20日 GMT-5 01:55
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年1月15日 GMT-5 07:01

This is a common mistake. If you have both domain and boundary features that uses From Material, then the materials must be assigned not only to domains, but also to boundaries. Boundaries do not inherit domain materials.

This means that you have to add the same material twice, but with different types of selection. Even better, add the material once under Global Definitions, and use two Material Link nodes to connect it to both domains and boundaries.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
This is a common mistake. If you have both domain and boundary features that uses **From Material**, then the materials must be assigned not only to domains, but also to boundaries. Boundaries do not inherit domain materials. This means that you have to add the same material twice, but with different types of selection. Even better, add the material once under **Global Definitions**, and use two **Material Link** nodes to connect it to both domains and boundaries.

Poorvank Sharma Teaching Assistant | IIT Bombay | Vibrational Spectroscopy

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年1月18日 GMT-5 01:07
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年1月19日 GMT-5 00:39

Hi Henrik

Do you have any tutorial by any chance for the Global Definitions approach? It would be helpful. Also, I have 2 different materials sharing a common boundary. I am not sure how to assign the boundary as a particular material.

Regards

Poorvank

Hi Henrik Do you have any tutorial by any chance for the Global Definitions approach? It would be helpful. Also, I have 2 different materials sharing a common boundary. I am not sure how to assign the boundary as a particular material. Regards Poorvank

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年1月20日 GMT-5 01:55

For the Global Defintions approach:

1. When you add the material you select Add to Global Material instead of Add to Component.
  2. Under Materials in the component, you add More Materials -> Material Link
  3. In the Material Link node, you select the global material you want and the geometrical selection.

It is (for physical reasons) uncommon that there are two materials sharing a common boundary. But if this really is the case, you cannot use From Material for both of them. In one of the physics nodes using material data you have to enter the data manually as User Defined.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
For the Global Defintions approach: 1. When you add the material you select **Add to Global Material** instead of **Add to Component**. 2. Under **Materials** in the component, you add **More Materials -> Material Link** 3. In the **Material Link** node, you select the global material you want and the geometrical selection. It is (for physical reasons) uncommon that there are two materials sharing a common boundary. But if this really is the case, you cannot use **From Material** for both of them. In one of the physics nodes using material data you have to enter the data manually as **User Defined**.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.