Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of elastic wave in composite laminates

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am wondering is it posible to couple Composite Material Module with Elastic wave propagation module (elte) or FEM explicit? I am trying to simulate guided lamb waves in composite laminates with various thickness and layups (both ESL vs LW theories). I could not couple in this two module.

Is there any extra tutorial, paper or webinar on this topic. It would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Enes

3 Replies Last Post 2021年3月7日 GMT-5 12:16
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月5日 GMT-5 06:55

Dear Enes,

There is no built-in coupling between Composite Material Module's physics interfaces and Elastic Waves, Time Explicit interface. Having said that, we can explore the possibility to couple the two.

Before that I wanted to understand the reason for coupling these two physics interfaces. As far as the guided lamb waves simulation in composite laminates is concerned, you can do it within the Composite Materials Module physics interfaces without the need of Elastic Wave, Time Explicit interface.

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Dear Enes, There is no built-in coupling between Composite Material Module's physics interfaces and Elastic Waves, Time Explicit interface. Having said that, we can explore the possibility to couple the two. Before that I wanted to understand the reason for coupling these two physics interfaces. As far as the guided lamb waves simulation in composite laminates is concerned, you can do it within the Composite Materials Module physics interfaces without the need of Elastic Wave, Time Explicit interface. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月7日 GMT-5 10:10

Dear Pawan,

First of all thank you for response. Actually, I have the idea of this question after consecutive failures of trying to do within the Composite Materials Module interface itself. So I thought the coupling with a outsider module could be posible and handling the models seperately, this is the reason.

When I try in the Composite Module, I usually define one signal as "prescribed displacement or velocity" as usual i.e to a basic composite structure, I can't get the propagation behaviour.

Best Regards

Dear Pawan, First of all thank you for response. Actually, I have the idea of this question after consecutive failures of trying to do within the Composite Materials Module interface itself. So I thought the coupling with a outsider module could be posible and handling the models seperately, this is the reason. When I try in the Composite Module, I usually define one signal as "prescribed displacement or velocity" as usual i.e to a basic composite structure, I can't get the propagation behaviour. Best Regards

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月7日 GMT-5 12:16

As usual, consider posting your model or a related simple problem in order to get real advice.

In general, wave propagation problems solved in time-dependent mode require non-default settings for the time stepping and solver. I recommend setting up a wave propagation problem in a linear elastic material first and when that works change the material to composite.

As usual, consider posting your model or a related simple problem in order to get real advice. In general, wave propagation problems solved in time-dependent mode require non-default settings for the time stepping and solver. I recommend setting up a wave propagation problem in a linear elastic material first and when that works change the material to composite.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.