Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid Structure Interaction with Piezoelectric

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out how to model the fluid structure interaction using the piezoelectric device physics model as well. I am trying to model synthetic jet actuators and I am having a hard time coupling the physics together to make the model work. I am new to the fluid structure interaction model so that is probably where my issues are. I am able to get the piezo element to deflect but im not sure how to tie it to the brass element so that deflects and then that deflection causes the fluid in the cavity to displace. If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks,
Aaron

7 Replies Last Post 2017年8月31日 GMT-4 22:37
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aaron Sassoon

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月11日 GMT-4 00:10
I am trying to do the same thing with micropump model. Also getting stuck with the FSI physics
I am trying to do the same thing with micropump model. Also getting stuck with the FSI physics

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月11日 GMT-4 05:31
Hi,

I think you fall into a trap that you have to use Piezoeletric Devices and Fluid-Structure Interaction.

As you know, there is no Piezoelectric Material Domain Settings in Fluid-Structure Interaction. This is the first problem you had. So, to consider both Linear Elastic Material and Piezoelectric Material Domain, you need to change all applications. These are,

1. Piezoelectric Devices to consider both Cu and PZT-5H
2. Laminar Flow to consider Air
3. Moving Mesh to consider both air and solid
4. Boundary ODEs and DAEs to consider solid velocity
5. Time Dependent Solver

And, physics couplings are,

1. air acts on the surface of solid : use the boundary load
r-term : spf.T_stressr*dvol_spatial/dvol
z-term : spf.T_stressz*dvol_spatial/dvol

2. in fluid, wall : moving wall : solid velocity from ODEs settings on the interface of the air/solid

3. define the solid velocity in ODEs. if solid displacement is u and w, solid velocity is ut and wt where t means time.

4. In moving mesh, use 1. prescribed deformation to consider solid displacement, 2. prescribed mesh displacement to consider solid displacement & axial symmetry.

thanks.
Hi, I think you fall into a trap that you have to use Piezoeletric Devices and Fluid-Structure Interaction. As you know, there is no Piezoelectric Material Domain Settings in Fluid-Structure Interaction. This is the first problem you had. So, to consider both Linear Elastic Material and Piezoelectric Material Domain, you need to change all applications. These are, 1. Piezoelectric Devices to consider both Cu and PZT-5H 2. Laminar Flow to consider Air 3. Moving Mesh to consider both air and solid 4. Boundary ODEs and DAEs to consider solid velocity 5. Time Dependent Solver And, physics couplings are, 1. air acts on the surface of solid : use the boundary load r-term : spf.T_stressr*dvol_spatial/dvol z-term : spf.T_stressz*dvol_spatial/dvol 2. in fluid, wall : moving wall : solid velocity from ODEs settings on the interface of the air/solid 3. define the solid velocity in ODEs. if solid displacement is u and w, solid velocity is ut and wt where t means time. 4. In moving mesh, use 1. prescribed deformation to consider solid displacement, 2. prescribed mesh displacement to consider solid displacement & axial symmetry. thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年12月4日 GMT-5 01:14
Hi Tae,
I have a very similar situation. can you please upload the finished model here to get a better understanding of what you just mentioned ?

much appreciated.
FM
Hi Tae, I have a very similar situation. can you please upload the finished model here to get a better understanding of what you just mentioned ? much appreciated. FM

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月20日 GMT-5 10:25
plz plz help me for modeling synthetic jet actuator in comsol 3.5a . i am new in comsol 3.5a . if anybody will help me so that i seek all tit bits of comsol . i requested you all people plz help me . i m now frustating fr last 2 years.
thanks n requested to all my friends .....
plz plz help me for modeling synthetic jet actuator in comsol 3.5a . i am new in comsol 3.5a . if anybody will help me so that i seek all tit bits of comsol . i requested you all people plz help me . i m now frustating fr last 2 years. thanks n requested to all my friends .....

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月20日 GMT-5 10:25
plz plz help me for modeling synthetic jet actuator in comsol 3.5a . i am new in comsol 3.5a . if anybody will help me so that i seek all tit bits of comsol . i requested you all people plz help me . i m now frustating fr last 2 years.
thanks n requested to all my friends .....
plz plz help me for modeling synthetic jet actuator in comsol 3.5a . i am new in comsol 3.5a . if anybody will help me so that i seek all tit bits of comsol . i requested you all people plz help me . i m now frustating fr last 2 years. thanks n requested to all my friends .....

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年7月21日 GMT-4 02:39
Hi Tae,
you are saying that boundary ODEs and DAEs interface has to be used to calculate solid velocity.But i can't understand how to calculate .what will be the equation i have to use ....what will be the source term,mass coefficient,damping coefficient in distrbuted ODEs 1 setting window.plz help...
Hi Tae, you are saying that boundary ODEs and DAEs interface has to be used to calculate solid velocity.But i can't understand how to calculate .what will be the equation i have to use ....what will be the source term,mass coefficient,damping coefficient in distrbuted ODEs 1 setting window.plz help...

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年8月31日 GMT-4 22:37
Could you give more information. I am puzzled.
Could you give more information. I am puzzled.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.