Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to make ground shielding layer to suppress electric field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, Inductor substrate loss mainly come from electric field and magnetic field disturb when operate in high frequency GHz. Insert a metal ground shielding layer which locate between inductor and substrate can sagnificantly reduce electric field influence as literature review. In comsol, how to make that metal layer to GND for E-field shielding in high freq. dimain. we are now using magnetic with E field model (mef). when we directly assign GND terminal to metal layer. it will make indutor performabce become worse (not consistent). Assign floating potential to metal layer also doesn't work. Please suggest and comment. Thanks.

Best Regard, Jerry

Hi Robert, Thanks for reply. Attached please see Ground Shielding to improve inductor Q factor case. My question is how to make (poly-si or metal)layer become shielding layer to reduce E field and improve Q factor of inductor in COMSOL. (any model suggestion is welcome) From my understanding, a conductive layer between indcutor and substrate will suffer more coupling and increase inductor resistance.

3 Replies Last Post 2022年10月3日 GMT-4 14:04
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年10月1日 GMT-4 23:42

You didn't say whether you believe your model is computing correctly or not. Are you having trouble with the physics/engineering of your design or are you having trouble representing your design in Comsol Multiphysics? I suggest you post your model (.mph file) to the forum.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You didn't say whether you believe your model is computing correctly or not. Are you having trouble with the physics/engineering of your design or are you having trouble representing your design in Comsol Multiphysics? I suggest you post your model (.mph file) to the forum.

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年10月2日 GMT-4 12:49

Hi Robert, Thanks for reply. Attached please see Ground Shielding to improve inductor Q factor case. My question is how to make (poly-si or metal)layer become shielding layer to reduce E field and improve Q factor of inductor in COMSOL. (any model suggestion is welcome) From my understanding, a conductive layer between indcutor and substrate will suffer more coupling and increase inductor resistance.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年10月3日 GMT-4 14:04

OK, I think I may have a rough idea about how this works, as it seems to involve blocking eddy currents (like the laminations in a transformer). I also suspect that allowing the "ground shield" to float is ok, since this is at high frequencies. Here is a link to a relevant paper I found on the internet: http://smirc.stanford.edu/papers/VLSI97p-cpyue.pdf . There are many more papers like that available if you search for them. Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
OK, I think I may have a rough idea about how this works, as it seems to involve blocking eddy currents (like the laminations in a transformer). I also suspect that allowing the "ground shield" to float is ok, since this is at high frequencies. Here is a link to a relevant paper I found on the internet: http://smirc.stanford.edu/papers/VLSI97p-cpyue.pdf . There are many more papers like that available if you search for them. Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.