Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Probleme on the turbulence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,

I'm modeling the impact of a droplet onto a substrate using the level set method . i use the module: two phase flow, laminar, level set.
when I increase the impcat velocity, I added the turbulence model and when I click to solve my problem, I got the message bellow:

Time-dependent solver/Generalized alpha
Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 271446
Step Time Stepsize Res Jac Sol Order Tfail NLfail
0 0 out 3 2 2 0

Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Sqrt_of_negative
Function: sqrt

Failed_to_evaluate_expression

Expression: nojac(((min((ck_chns*sqrt((((taum_chns*res_v_chns)^2)+((((res_p_chns*tauc_chns)/(nojac(sqrt((u2int_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))*nojac((rhoint_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))))^2+((taum_chns*res_u_chns))^2)))),U_ref_chns)*0.5)*min((gijgij_chns^-0.25),((rho_chns*U_ref_chns)/((etaT_chns+eta_chns)*48)))))

Failed_to_evaluate_symbolic_derivative_variable

Variable: shock_capt_chns@VDN${test@3}, Defined_as: ((r*(rho_chns*(-nojac(((min((ck_chns*sqrt((((taum_chns*res_v_chns)^2)+((((res_p_chns*tauc_chns)/(nojac(sqrt((u2int_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))*nojac((rhoint_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))))^2+((taum_chns*res_u_chns))^2)))),U_ref_chns)*0.5)*min((gijgij_chns^-0.25),((rho_chns*U_ref_chns)/((etaT_chns+eta_chns)*48))))))))*((ur*g21_chns)+(uz*g22_chns)))

Expression: d(((r*(-2*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*ur+p)*test(ur)-r*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*(uz+vr)*test(uz)+(-r*rho_chns*(u*ur+v*uz)-2*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*u/r+p)*test(u)+gls_chns+shock_capt_chns)-(r*rho_chns*ut*test(u)))*(dvol),{test@3})

if someone could tell me on how to solve this probleme I will really appreciate.
best regards

2 Replies Last Post 2011年3月31日 GMT-4 04:13
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Soufiane Oukach

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月31日 GMT-4 03:52
I met the same problem, is it solved?
I met the same problem, is it solved?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月31日 GMT-4 04:13
Hi,

Usually that means you need to add a constant somewhere in your expression, constant small enough not to alter the results and large enough never to let your expression go to zero so that the software can evaluate the inverse of the square root of the expression.

Can you give more details about the expressions you are using?

Hi ,

Time-dependent solver/Generalized alpha
Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 271446
Step Time Stepsize Res Jac Sol Order Tfail NLfail
0 0 out 3 2 2 0

Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Sqrt_of_negative
Function: sqrt

Expression: nojac(((min((ck_chns*sqrt((((taum_chns*res_v_chns)^2)+((((res_p_chns*tauc_chns)/(nojac(sqrt((u2int_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))*nojac((rhoint_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))))^2+((taum_chns*res_u_chns))^2)))),U_ref_chns)*0.5)*min((gijgij_chns^-0.25),((rho_chns*U_ref_chns)/((etaT_chns+eta_chns)*48)))))

Failed_to_evaluate_symbolic_derivative_variable

Variable: shock_capt_chns@VDN${test@3}, Defined_as: ((r*(rho_chns*(-nojac(((min((ck_chns*sqrt((((taum_chns*res_v_chns)^2)+((((res_p_chns*tauc_chns)/(nojac(sqrt((u2int_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))*nojac((rhoint_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))))^2+((taum_chns*res_u_chns))^2)))),U_ref_chns)*0.5)*min((gijgij_chns^-0.25),((rho_chns*U_ref_chns)/((etaT_chns+eta_chns)*48))))))))*((ur*g21_chns)+(uz*g22_chns)))

Expression: d(((r*(-2*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*ur+p)*test(ur)-r*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*(uz+vr)*test(uz)+(-r*rho_chns*(u*ur+v*uz)-2*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*u/r+p)*test(u)+gls_chns+shock_capt_chns)-(r*rho_chns*ut*test(u)))*(dvol),{test@3})

if someone could tell me on how to solve this probleme I will really appreciate.
best regards

Hi, Usually that means you need to add a constant somewhere in your expression, constant small enough not to alter the results and large enough never to let your expression go to zero so that the software can evaluate the inverse of the square root of the expression. Can you give more details about the expressions you are using? [QUOTE] Hi , ... Time-dependent solver/Generalized alpha Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 271446 Step Time Stepsize Res Jac Sol Order Tfail NLfail 0 0 out 3 2 2 0 Error: Failed to find consistent initial values. Sqrt_of_negative Function: sqrt Failed_to_evaluate_expression Expression: nojac(((min((ck_chns*sqrt((((taum_chns*res_v_chns)^2)+((((res_p_chns*tauc_chns)/(nojac(sqrt((u2int_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))*nojac((rhoint_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))))^2+((taum_chns*res_u_chns))^2)))),U_ref_chns)*0.5)*min((gijgij_chns^-0.25),((rho_chns*U_ref_chns)/((etaT_chns+eta_chns)*48))))) Failed_to_evaluate_symbolic_derivative_variable Variable: shock_capt_chns@VDN${test@3}, Defined_as: ((r*(rho_chns*(-nojac(((min((ck_chns*sqrt((((taum_chns*res_v_chns)^2)+((((res_p_chns*tauc_chns)/(nojac(sqrt((u2int_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))*nojac((rhoint_g1_chns/vol_g1_chns)))))^2+((taum_chns*res_u_chns))^2)))),U_ref_chns)*0.5)*min((gijgij_chns^-0.25),((rho_chns*U_ref_chns)/((etaT_chns+eta_chns)*48))))))))*((ur*g21_chns)+(uz*g22_chns))) Failed_to_evaluate_expression Expression: d(((r*(-2*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*ur+p)*test(ur)-r*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*(uz+vr)*test(uz)+(-r*rho_chns*(u*ur+v*uz)-2*(eta_chns+etaT_chns)*u/r+p)*test(u)+gls_chns+shock_capt_chns)-(r*rho_chns*ut*test(u)))*(dvol),{test@3}) if someone could tell me on how to solve this probleme I will really appreciate. best regards [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.