Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Symmetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

sorry the continuous questions today! I am going to use symmetry for the geometry as in the picture I attached. The simplified geometry is a multilayer (only the green part) composed of layers of different materials and thickness, and four strips A (=C) and B (=D) jointed on top and at the bottom of it.
For time calculation reducing (I have to deal with a more complex structure), I would use symmetry, as A=C and B=D, with a plane of symmetry in the middle of the multilayer. Therefore, I would consider only A and B in the calculation, for example.
But I can't use Symmetry, as it is required a face in the middle plane of the multilayer, but the multilayer is not Symmetric! I should need something like a plane recognized by the function Symmetry, and not a physical surface.

Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance

4 Replies Last Post 2013年10月31日 GMT-4 07:04
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月8日 GMT-4 01:05
Hi

to apply symmetry you need that all items are "symmetric" so if you thickness of the central multilayer are not symmetric, you will get some discrepancies if you apply a symmetry plane at mid "middle Layer" indeed

Now you might be able to apply "symmetry" for half the length, it's already something

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi to apply symmetry you need that all items are "symmetric" so if you thickness of the central multilayer are not symmetric, you will get some discrepancies if you apply a symmetry plane at mid "middle Layer" indeed Now you might be able to apply "symmetry" for half the length, it's already something -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月8日 GMT-4 04:35
Hi Ivar,

thank you for your reply (always satisfactory!). In conclusion, I can't use symmetry in my case. What other solutions are available to reduce the time calculation, in the particular case of my model?

Furthermore, is it worth suggesting to COMSOL support to modify the symmetry function for the next releases, in order to take into account parts not in contact with the middle plane? Thus, something already present in the function Mirror (Geometry), where you can define the plane of reflection...

Thank you
Kind regards
Hi Ivar, thank you for your reply (always satisfactory!). In conclusion, I can't use symmetry in my case. What other solutions are available to reduce the time calculation, in the particular case of my model? Furthermore, is it worth suggesting to COMSOL support to modify the symmetry function for the next releases, in order to take into account parts not in contact with the middle plane? Thus, something already present in the function Mirror (Geometry), where you can define the plane of reflection... Thank you Kind regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月8日 GMT-4 05:13
Hi

but I believe that is rather tricky, you can do it now but you need to write out the equations, and I'm not sure your demand can be made generic, and COMSOL so far has only proposed generic BC's that apply (almost) for any situation)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but I believe that is rather tricky, you can do it now but you need to write out the equations, and I'm not sure your demand can be made generic, and COMSOL so far has only proposed generic BC's that apply (almost) for any situation) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月31日 GMT-4 07:04
Hi Ivar,
I have been using the symmetry boundary condition for structural mechanics. Now that I see the results, I realize that the symmetry condition in Structural Mechanics only forces the normal displacements to the symmetry surface to be zero (n·u = 0), but not the rotations. The result is that the deformed geometry has no continuity in symmetry plane.
Would you know how to force rotations to be zero as well? Is it normal that the symmetry condition does not acocunt for that already?

Regards,

Andrés
Hi Ivar, I have been using the symmetry boundary condition for structural mechanics. Now that I see the results, I realize that the symmetry condition in Structural Mechanics only forces the normal displacements to the symmetry surface to be zero (n·u = 0), but not the rotations. The result is that the deformed geometry has no continuity in symmetry plane. Would you know how to force rotations to be zero as well? Is it normal that the symmetry condition does not acocunt for that already? Regards, Andrés

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.