Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Linearly Polarized (LP) modes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm willing to calculate linearly polarized modes, that is, modes with
only four non-zero components and azimuthal symmetry in a multimode
optical fiber (see for example www.rp-photonics.com/lp_modes.html ).

By using the mode analysis study I get to compute the first two LP0m
modes (I'm specially interested in modes LP01, LP02, LP03....).
Although, I have to compute more than 10 modes to get LP01 and LP02
modes. I have incremented drastically the number of modes computed but
I'm not able to get to the LP03 mode.

I wonder if there is a way I can "force" the results to have (for
example) Ex=0 and Hy=0 ?
Or even better, to force the resulting fields to have azimuthal symmetry?

A suggestion from the support staff is to restrict to a subset of solutions modeling a slice of the fiber's cross section (see file attached). Unfortunately, with this approach I'm only able to reproduce doughnut type fields (mixtures of TEM modes), but not the LP modes I'm looking for.

As you can see all the solutions have null electric field at the center of the fiber, while LP01, LP02 and LP03 have a maximum field at that point.

Thanks in advance.
Best,
--
Felipe BM

0 Replies Last Post 2013年5月7日 GMT-4 08:43
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Felipe Beltran-Mejia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.