Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scattering Model Doesn't Compute

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'm trying to model the scattering effects of light off of a thin box. I used the model example "Optical Scattering Off a Gold Nanosphere" as a reference model. " I've tried a few approaches when modeling the system, and I keep getting the error "Undefined value found - Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR. - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol3/s1)". I don't know where exactly the undefined value is coming from. How can I avoid/fix this error?

Thanks,
Daniel Frantz

2 Replies Last Post 2014年6月13日 GMT-4 12:26
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年6月13日 GMT-4 08:46
Daniel,

You are getting this error message because mesh element size is larger than wavelength. You defined appropriate parameter for mesh size (h_max) but didn't use it for mesh generation.

Attached is your modified model which solves the problem without getting error. Note that at the frequency you specified computation requires ~40G of RAM.

Regards,
Sergei
Daniel, You are getting this error message because mesh element size is larger than wavelength. You defined appropriate parameter for mesh size (h_max) but didn't use it for mesh generation. Attached is your modified model which solves the problem without getting error. Note that at the frequency you specified computation requires ~40G of RAM. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年6月13日 GMT-4 12:26
Sergei,

Thank you! I've got the model running as intended. You have been very helpful.

Regards,
Daniel Frantz
Sergei, Thank you! I've got the model running as intended. You have been very helpful. Regards, Daniel Frantz

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.