Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

meshing - a boundary with points on it

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all

I am trying to mesh a 3D object. The object is not symmetric as a whole and it consist of thick and thin parts ( layers) . I tried to mange it by using free mesh parameters for a surface and then use swept one. But in my structural mechanics application I need to apply point loads and I put some points on the upper surface of the object. I can't mesh it using as I did before ( the swept + free boundary Meshes). Any Idea you have how to mesh object with points on the surface( boundary)?

best regards.

3 Replies Last Post 2010年4月20日 GMT-4 04:44
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月20日 GMT-4 01:42
Hi

if you have only one surface with extra points, start by meshing that one, and then sweep from that surface. There are some topological limitations on the surfaces and their subdivisions in the direction you sweep,

Another way is to add the same points or cuts on all surfaces through the model, a few interiour boundaries does not overload a model

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi if you have only one surface with extra points, start by meshing that one, and then sweep from that surface. There are some topological limitations on the surfaces and their subdivisions in the direction you sweep, Another way is to add the same points or cuts on all surfaces through the model, a few interiour boundaries does not overload a model Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月20日 GMT-4 04:39
Dear Ivar,

Thank you for your replay. My object to be meshed is three layers of cylinder with the lower surface consists of small sized extra cylinder projections. I want to put some points on the upper surface. Without points on the upper surface I can mesh it successfully. But when I add the points on the upper surface it says topological error. even I tried to mesh the points at first.

with best regards.
Dear Ivar, Thank you for your replay. My object to be meshed is three layers of cylinder with the lower surface consists of small sized extra cylinder projections. I want to put some points on the upper surface. Without points on the upper surface I can mesh it successfully. But when I add the points on the upper surface it says topological error. even I tried to mesh the points at first. with best regards.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月20日 GMT-4 04:44
Dear Ivar,

Thank you for your replay. My object to be meshed is three layers of cylinder with the lower surface consists of small sized extra cylinder projections. I want to put some points on the upper surface. Without points on the upper surface I can mesh it successfully. But when I add the points on the upper surface it says topological error. even I tried to mesh the points at first.

with best regards.
Dear Ivar, Thank you for your replay. My object to be meshed is three layers of cylinder with the lower surface consists of small sized extra cylinder projections. I want to put some points on the upper surface. Without points on the upper surface I can mesh it successfully. But when I add the points on the upper surface it says topological error. even I tried to mesh the points at first. with best regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.