Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Periodic boundary conditions and floquet-bloch phase shift

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate using the Rf module TM in 2D an infinite structure in the x dimension. (comsol 3.3)
Therefore I'm getting used to the periodic boundary conditions and the floquet bloch phase shift.

I simplified my problem to a very simple one: a plane wave propagating with wavevector k=kx*ex + ky*ey in an infinitely long space in the x dimension.

My domain is L wide and H high.

I've set scattering boundary condition on top (source of plane wave side) with a field exp(i*kx*x).

I've set scattering boundary condtions at bottom, no field.

I've set right and left boundraies to PEC.

Then I've put left and right boundaries as source and destination in the periodic boundary conditions, setting 2 contraints on Hz and psi, namely Hz => Hz*exp(-i*kx*L) and psi => psi*exp(-i*kx*L).

I've put the 4 corner vertex as sources and destinations as well.

Finally I've set the "Use hermitian transpose option..." in the solve advanced parameters.

Then I solve for 1 wavelength and several angles and can get a correct plane wave propagating as if the domain was infinite...

Is my floquet phaseshift wrong? Did I set a wrong boundary condition somewhere?

Any help greatly appreciated.

G.

1 Reply Last Post 2010年6月9日 GMT-4 10:57

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月9日 GMT-4 10:57
Just wanted to say that the problem is solved.

Up and down boundary conditions weren't good, I had to use ports instead of SBC.

source: cds.comsol.com/access/dl/papers/5259/Yang_pres.pdf
Just wanted to say that the problem is solved. Up and down boundary conditions weren't good, I had to use ports instead of SBC. source: http://cds.comsol.com/access/dl/papers/5259/Yang_pres.pdf

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.