Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plot Progress during Solving

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I just switched over to the new version, 4.0, and have been having some issues finding simple commands. How do I now watch the solver progress as its running? In 3.5a, it was just a tab on the dialog box, but now I can't seem to find a way to enable it anywhere.

Another problem I've noticed with 4.0, and not sure if 3.5a did this, is that if Comsol has to quickly close, whether its due to a power outage or an OS issue or whatnot, and is in the middle of solving, meshing, or even saving, the entire file becomes lost. I've lost a few big models this way and it is tremendously inconveniencing. Perhaps in the next version there ought to be a way to enable an autosave function.

Thanks,
Jeff

6 Replies Last Post 2010年9月24日 GMT-4 01:56

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月15日 GMT-4 12:20
Under the "Study" tab of your model tree, if you click on "Step 1" (or whichever step you'd like to plot while solving), there are settings that allow you to plot while solving. The settings are very similar to the setup in 3.5a.
Under the "Study" tab of your model tree, if you click on "Step 1" (or whichever step you'd like to plot while solving), there are settings that allow you to plot while solving. The settings are very similar to the setup in 3.5a.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月15日 GMT-4 12:22
I've seen that, but as far as I could tell, you can only plot data, not necessarily the residuals or the time step during transient runs. Any idea on how to do that?
I've seen that, but as far as I could tell, you can only plot data, not necessarily the residuals or the time step during transient runs. Any idea on how to do that?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月16日 GMT-4 05:34
Hi all

I am relative new to version 4.0a - but so far i like it :)
just one thing... i am running a sim of a soft material with large deformations - so i have the XXXXX flaged.

I am solving the sim as a parametric study.
But when solving i would like to see the convergens plot - in ver. 3.5 this was shown by default.
How to i activate it?

BR
Kim Folmer Andersen
Hi all I am relative new to version 4.0a - but so far i like it :) just one thing... i am running a sim of a soft material with large deformations - so i have the XXXXX flaged. I am solving the sim as a parametric study. But when solving i would like to see the convergens plot - in ver. 3.5 this was shown by default. How to i activate it? BR Kim Folmer Andersen

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月16日 GMT-4 06:34
Hi

if its the solver convergence plot of 3.5a its unfortunately not yet implemented, have heard tha it's on the list "to do" so perhaps this autumn

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if its the solver convergence plot of 3.5a its unfortunately not yet implemented, have heard tha it's on the list "to do" so perhaps this autumn -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月23日 GMT-4 17:35

How about file recovery? It seems that if I have a 3D model that isn't meshed very well and then try to solve, the solver gets stuck on Meshextend and "Using linear geometry shape order....". Even after hitting Stop and Cancel, Comsol still freezes and I have to shut it down via the Task Manager. Then, when trying to reopen the file, it unrecoverable. PLEASE tell me this is something that will be fixed next time around!!
How about file recovery? It seems that if I have a 3D model that isn't meshed very well and then try to solve, the solver gets stuck on Meshextend and "Using linear geometry shape order....". Even after hitting Stop and Cancel, Comsol still freezes and I have to shut it down via the Task Manager. Then, when trying to reopen the file, it unrecoverable. PLEASE tell me this is something that will be fixed next time around!!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月24日 GMT-4 01:56
Hi

that problem (aborting the meshing) had mainly dissapeared for me with the latest patch, are you with 4.0.0.993 ?

Check the update on the main web site. Aborting the meshing can indeed take some time (just as aborting the solver) this for V4 in particular.

The main way around: ALWAYS save the file before starting any processing. This is in fact valid for all software from MS office, matlab maple, CAD as well as COMSOL :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that problem (aborting the meshing) had mainly dissapeared for me with the latest patch, are you with 4.0.0.993 ? Check the update on the main web site. Aborting the meshing can indeed take some time (just as aborting the solver) this for V4 in particular. The main way around: ALWAYS save the file before starting any processing. This is in fact valid for all software from MS office, matlab maple, CAD as well as COMSOL :) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.