Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The Problem: the maximum gain is bigger than the maximum directivity.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In the attached file which is a microstrip antenna model, the value of maxGaindB is bigger than that of maxDdB. I couldn't find the reason. Do you have any idea?

Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post 2020年9月17日 GMT-4 13:27
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年9月17日 GMT-4 12:38
  1. Well, it's not much bigger, is it? And the materials in your design have no losses.
  2. I also suggest you compare the realized gain to the directivity.
  3. Consider also using a finer mesh.
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. Well, it's *not much* bigger, is it? And the materials in your design have no losses. 2. I also suggest you compare the *realized* gain to the directivity. 3. Consider also using a finer mesh.

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年9月17日 GMT-4 13:27

Hi Robert,

1. Well, it's not much bigger, is it? And the materials in your design have no losses.

Should I accept this situation as they are almost same but the small calculation errors causes this result. If so, I won't worry about it.

1. I also suggest you compare the realized gain to the directivity.

I had done it. Realized gain = 7.3393, directivity = 7.3388. The gain is winner again :).

1. Consider also using a finer mesh.

The results obtained with extremelly fine meshes: Maximum directivity, dB: 7.3388 Maximum gain, dB: 7.4306 Maximum realized gain, dB: 7.3393.

Thank you.

Hi Robert, >1. Well, it's *not much* bigger, is it? And the materials in your design have no losses. Should I accept this situation as they are almost same but the small calculation errors causes this result. If so, I won't worry about it. >2. I also suggest you compare the *realized* gain to the directivity. I had done it. Realized gain = 7.3393, directivity = 7.3388. The gain is winner again :). >3. Consider also using a finer mesh. The results obtained with extremelly fine meshes: Maximum directivity, dB: 7.3388 Maximum gain, dB: 7.4306 Maximum realized gain, dB: 7.3393. Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.