Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC/DC Module, Surface current density, Layer thickness of Nanoparticles on Polymer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to build a model of nanoparticles in a polymer. The object is to evaluate the Terminal current and surface current density accross the polymer. One example from the blog, "MAxwell-wagner-Permittivity of Blood" was really helpful. However, unlike their model, my model does not have an intermediate layer between the nanoparticle and the matrix. The model is as below image.

[Image]

My questions are as follows -- 1. Do I need to put a contact impedence BC for the surface of the nanoparticles? 2. If yes, what "Surface thickness (Thin layer)" or "Surface impedance" properties should I use? Note: I am only putting nanoparticles (Such as - TiO2) in polymer (such as - PMMA).

The terminal current is almost the same if I use or do not use the Contact impedence condition, but the surface current density is completey different!

Thank you.

Best, Didar

4 Replies Last Post 2021年5月9日 GMT+8 23:18
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年5月8日 GMT+8 01:24

Didar,

if you aren't considering a contact layer in your model, you probably don't need it. The electrical contact between the domains is established automatically in a Form Union. It is to be expected to change the results if you use it nevertheless.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Didar, if you aren't considering a contact layer in your model, you probably don't need it. The electrical contact between the domains is established automatically in a Form Union. It is to be expected to change the results if you use it nevertheless. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年5月8日 GMT+8 03:42
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年5月8日 GMT+8 03:44

Hi Dr. Edgar,

Thank you, that was indeed helpful.

I had another question, related to this. If I extract the "Surface Charge Density" from the results, the unit I see is C/m^3. I do not quite uniderstand, though I have 2D model, how can the unit be m^3?

[Attached Image]

Thank you.

Hi Dr. Edgar, Thank you, that was indeed helpful. I had another question, related to this. If I extract the "Surface Charge Density" from the results, the unit I see is C/m^3. I do not quite uniderstand, though I have 2D model, how can the unit be m^3? [Attached Image] Thank you.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年5月8日 GMT+8 16:21

The root physics node in 2D has a setting for model length in the 3rd dimension. The volumetric charge density takes this into account.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
The root physics node in 2D has a setting for model length in the 3rd dimension. The volumetric charge density takes this into account. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年5月9日 GMT+8 23:18

Thank you Dr. Edgar, that was relly helpful.

Thank you Dr. Edgar, that was relly helpful.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.